Specific Heat of Brass Alloys - Table of Values

In summary, specific heat is the amount of heat energy needed to raise a substance's temperature by one degree Celsius or one Kelvin. The specific heat of brass alloys can vary but is generally around 0.38 J/g·K. Factors such as composition, temperature, and pressure can affect the specific heat, as well as impurities and crystal structure. It is important to know the specific heat of brass alloys for industrial applications and understanding their thermal properties. Tables of values can be found in scientific databases and reference books, as well as online and through specific heat equations.
mbrmbrg
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find the specific heat of brass; I've googled and wikied with no success.

Ah, whoa, hang on. It occurs to me that there might not be a standard "brass" alloy... bummer, confirmed by wiki.

To rephrase the question then: Does anyone know where I might find a table of various specific heats of different brasses?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Here you are
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-metal-alloys-d_153.html"
"Yellow brass" is a typical alloy in common use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! :rubs hands gleefully:

Thanks, Marcus!

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius or one Kelvin.

What is the specific heat of brass alloys?

The specific heat of brass alloys can vary depending on the composition of the alloy. However, the average specific heat of brass alloys is around 0.38 J/g·K.

What factors affect the specific heat of brass alloys?

The specific heat of brass alloys is affected by the composition of the alloy, as well as the temperature and pressure at which it is measured. Other factors such as impurities and crystal structure can also impact the specific heat.

Why is it important to know the specific heat of brass alloys?

Knowing the specific heat of brass alloys is important in various industrial applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems. It also helps in understanding the thermal properties of brass alloys and how they behave under different conditions.

Where can I find a table of values for the specific heat of brass alloys?

You can find a table of values for the specific heat of brass alloys in various scientific databases and reference books. It is also available online on reputable websites and can be calculated using specific heat equations.