Specific Heat of Nitrogen Molecule

In summary, The conversation discusses estimating the specific heat of a nitrogen molecule at a specific temperature and the equation used to calculate it. The equation includes various constants such as R, h, k, and v, which are needed to find the frequency and wavelength of the molecule. The conversation also mentions a previous formula for molar specific heat at constant pressure and the accuracy of modern expressions. The conversation ends with a question about using the speed of light for the frequency in the equation and a confirmation that the conversation is for a Quantum Physics class.
Finaid

Homework Statement

Estimate the precise value for the specific heat of a nitrogen molecule at T=13.6K

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure the correct equation is:
Cp = (7/2)*R + R((hv)/(kT))2 *((e(hv/kT))/(e(hv/kT)-1)2
So R=8.314 J K-1mol-1
T=13.6K
h=6.626*10-34m2kg s-1
k=2pi/λ
v= ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that diatomic molecules oscillate at a single characteristic frequency,v, but I'm not sure how to find what frequency that is and without it I can't finish the equation. I figure if I had the frequency, I could find λ or vice versa but I need both to finish the problem. Or am I approaching this in too straightforward a manner?
Any help or confirmation that I'm at least headed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Such equations are always approximate and of questionable value to physicists, chemists and engineers from a practical view.

Bryant in 1934 came up with a formula for molar specific heat at constant pressure:
cp = a + bT + cT2

For N2 he gave
a = 6.30 cal/mole-K
b = 1.819e-3 cal/mole-K
c = -0.345e-6 cal/mole-K.

It depends on what stage of thermodynamics you're at. Modern expressions have indeed increased the accuracy of this parameter. Afraid I'm not knowledgeable about them.

Of course, to get the specific heat of a single molecule you have to divide by Avogadro's number.

Well, I'm a 3rd year Physics Undergrad and this is a question for my Quantum Physics class, not Thermodynamics. I think that's why I have to use the equation above and in the derivation I have for that, Avogadro's number cancels out somewhere along the way. There's a section in my lecture notes deriving this equation for specific heat of a diatomic molecule, but no examples or mention of how to find v.

Thanks for giving it a go anyway!

Could I put the frequency v=c/λ? I don't know whether I'm able to assume the conditions for a vacuum, but it would cancel out λ, the wavelength and then ((e(hv/kT))/(e(hv/kT)-1) would go to zero, which would leave Cp=7R/2. This doesn't seem right but it's more than I had yesterday.

You're in PH356, yeah?

Yes, sadly.

1. What is the specific heat of a nitrogen molecule?

The specific heat of a nitrogen molecule is 20.78 J/mol*K. This means that it takes 20.78 joules of energy to raise the temperature of one mole of nitrogen gas by one degree Kelvin.

2. How does the specific heat of a nitrogen molecule compare to other gases?

The specific heat of a nitrogen molecule is relatively low compared to other gases. For example, the specific heat of oxygen is 29.3 J/mol*K, while the specific heat of carbon dioxide is 36.7 J/mol*K.

3. Why is the specific heat of a nitrogen molecule important?

The specific heat of a nitrogen molecule is important because it helps determine the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a given amount of nitrogen gas. This information is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of gases in various systems, such as in engines or industrial processes.

4. Does the specific heat of a nitrogen molecule change with temperature?

Yes, the specific heat of a nitrogen molecule does change with temperature. As the temperature increases, the specific heat of nitrogen gas decreases. This is due to the increase in molecular motion, which makes it easier for the gas to absorb heat energy.

5. How is the specific heat of a nitrogen molecule measured?

The specific heat of a nitrogen molecule is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the amount of heat absorbed or released by a substance during a chemical or physical change. The heat absorbed by the gas is then divided by the change in temperature to calculate the specific heat.