1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Heat problem

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. You are designing an oven mitt and you know the amount of heat (200J), the mass the mitt needs to be (5g), and the change in temperature it will undergo (25-500 F). What is the specific heat that your oven mitt needs to be?

2. Relevant equations

Q = mcΔT

3. The attempt at a solution

Q=5g*200J*246deg C
    = 246,000

I think this should be simple but that answer just doesn't seem right. Did I do it wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

You are supposed to be solving for c, not Q. How did you get 246 deg C? I don't think that is right.

4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    I just did 500-25 and converted it to celcius. I don't think thats right. So would 200J would be Q then?

5. Oct 20, 2008 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

That won't work. Try it by converting both your initial and final temperatures into celcius first and then find the change.
    Yes, Q is 200 J. Check the definitions of each variable so you know what they represent.

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?