Specific heat ratio of gas mixture

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the specific heat ratio, ##\gamma##, for a gas mixture in multi-fluid hydrodynamic modelling. The formula for calculating ##\gamma## is derived using the thermal energy density and pressure of the gas mixture, and it is found to be a weighted average of the individual species' specific heat ratios. However, for the specific heat values, the weighted average formula cannot be used and instead, the difference between the specific heat at constant pressure and specific heat at constant volume, ##R##, can be used to find the individual values.
colinjohnstoe
I am doing some multi-fluid hydrodynamic modelling and I have a quick question. I think I know the answer, but I am not convinced. One of the things that I need to know is the specific heat ratio, ##\gamma##, for the gas and my question is, how does one calculate this from the values of each species in the mixture.

At a given point, I know for each species the specific heat ratio, ##\gamma_i##, and number density, ##n_i##. The thermal energy density is

$$\epsilon = \frac{p}{\gamma-1},$$

where ##p## is the thermal pressure. The thermal energy density is equal to the sums of the values for each individual species

$$\epsilon = \sum_i \epsilon_i = \sum_i \frac{p_i}{\gamma_i - 1}.$$

Inserting ##p = n k_B T## (where ##n = \sum_i n_i##) and ##p_i = n_i k_B T## (therefore assuming all species have the same temperature) gives

$$\frac{n k_B T}{\gamma - 1} = \sum_i \frac{n_i k_B T}{\gamma_i - 1},$$

which can be rearranged to give

$$\gamma = \frac{n}{\sum_i \left( \frac{n_i}{\gamma_i - 1} \right) } + 1.$$

This ##\gamma## is the value that I want. Am I correct here or have I made a mistake somewhere?

Science news on Phys.org
For an ideal gas mixture, the heat capacity of the mixture at constant pressure or at constant volume is a weighted average of the corresponding heat capacities of the pure gases, weighted in proportion to their mole fractions:

$$C_{mixture}=\sum_{i=1}^n{y_iC_i}$$
where n is the number of gases present.

Likes colinjohnstoe
Thanks for the response. It doesn't really answer the question though. I am asking about the specific heat ratio ##\gamma=C_\mathrm{P}/C_\mathrm{V}##. If we use the weighted sums, we get

$$\gamma=\frac{C_\mathrm{P}}{C_\mathrm{V}} = \frac{\sum_i y_i C_{\mathrm{P},i}}{
\sum_i y_i C_{\mathrm{V},i}
}$$

For this quantity, you can't simply take the weighted averages of $\gamma$ for each species.

$$\gamma \ne \sum_i y_i \gamma_i$$

colinjohnstoe said:
Thanks for the response. It doesn't really answer the question though. I am asking about the specific heat ratio ##\gamma=C_\mathrm{P}/C_\mathrm{V}##. If we use the weighted sums, we get

$$\gamma=\frac{C_\mathrm{P}}{C_\mathrm{V}} = \frac{\sum_i y_i C_{\mathrm{P},i}}{
\sum_i y_i C_{\mathrm{V},i}
}$$

For this quantity, you can't simply take the weighted averages of $\gamma$ for each species.

$$\gamma \ne \sum_i y_i \gamma_i$$
So? If you know the gammas, then you know each of the specific heat values individually.

Likes colinjohnstoe
Chestermiller said:
So? If you know the gammas, then you know each of the specific heat values individually.

How do I get the individual specific heat values from ##\gamma##? Knowing ##\gamma## only means I know the ratio of the two.

colinjohnstoe said:
How do I get the individual specific heat values from ##\gamma##? Knowing ##\gamma## only means I know the ratio of the two.
The diffence between the two is equal to R

Likes colinjohnstoe
Chestermiller said:
The diffence between the two is equal to R

You are right! Thanks. That should solve the problem.

Likes Chestermiller

What is the specific heat ratio of a gas mixture?

The specific heat ratio, also known as the ratio of specific heats or adiabatic index, is a thermodynamic property that relates the heat capacity of a gas at constant pressure (Cp) to its heat capacity at constant volume (Cv). It is denoted by the symbol "γ" and is a dimensionless quantity.

How is the specific heat ratio of a gas mixture calculated?

The specific heat ratio can be calculated by dividing the heat capacity at constant pressure (Cp) by the heat capacity at constant volume (Cv). It can also be calculated using the individual specific heat ratios of the constituent gases in the mixture, taking into account their respective mole fractions.

Why is the specific heat ratio of a gas mixture important?

The specific heat ratio is an important property in thermodynamics as it helps in understanding the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is used in various engineering applications, such as in the design of combustion engines, gas turbines, and heat exchangers.

How does the specific heat ratio of a gas mixture vary with temperature and pressure?

The specific heat ratio of a gas mixture is affected by temperature and pressure. At higher temperatures and lower pressures, the specific heat ratio tends to increase. This is because the molecules in the gas have more energy and can move more freely, resulting in a higher heat capacity at constant pressure.

Can the specific heat ratio of a gas mixture change?

Yes, the specific heat ratio of a gas mixture can change depending on the composition of the gases in the mixture. It can also vary with temperature and pressure, as mentioned before. The specific heat ratio can also be affected by the presence of impurities or chemical reactions within the gas mixture.