1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific heat units

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    Hopefully this is a really simple question to answer. A problem I have uses the following information:

The specific heat of air = 1.05 kJ/hg-C.

Does anyone know what the hg-C stands for? I know specific heat is usually expressed in terms of J/C, so this is confusing me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2
    The units of specific heat are energy per unit of mass per unit of temperature. Thus it should read kJ/(kg C). I think you misread the unit and ended up with hg instead of kg.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Nope, I double checked and the units are definitely kJ/(hg-C). Any ideas as to what the hg may be? Is it some reference to mercury?

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4
    It doesn't refer to mercury. Let's say it's a typing mistake. I stand by my previous post

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    The specific heat of air is of the order of 1 kJ/kg.K (or kJ/kg.C). The exact value depends on temperature. So it is a typo, no doubt.
    The units J/C (asuming C stands for Celsius degree) are for heat capacity and not for specific heat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook