Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific heat units

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    Hopefully this is a really simple question to answer. A problem I have uses the following information:

The specific heat of air = 1.05 kJ/hg-C.

Does anyone know what the hg-C stands for? I know specific heat is usually expressed in terms of J/C, so this is confusing me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2
    The units of specific heat are energy per unit of mass per unit of temperature. Thus it should read kJ/(kg C). I think you misread the unit and ended up with hg instead of kg.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Nope, I double checked and the units are definitely kJ/(hg-C). Any ideas as to what the hg may be? Is it some reference to mercury?

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4
    It doesn't refer to mercury. Let's say it's a typing mistake. I stand by my previous post

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    The specific heat of air is of the order of 1 kJ/kg.K (or kJ/kg.C). The exact value depends on temperature. So it is a typo, no doubt.
    The units J/C (asuming C stands for Celsius degree) are for heat capacity and not for specific heat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook