Calculating Heat Transfer from Boiling Water on Skin

In summary, the problem involves a burn victim's skin being splashed with 4.0 g of boiling water at 100.0°C, which cools to 45.0°C on the 37.0°C skin. The heat given up by the water is 0.77 kJ and the tissue mass involved in cooling the water is 5.95 g. The equation used is Q=mcΔT, with c representing the heat capacity of human tissue (3.5 kJ/kgK). The temperature does not need to be converted to Kelvin for this problem.
dcramps

Homework Statement

If 4.0 g of boiling water at 100.0°C was splashed onto a burn victim’s skin, and if it cooled to 45.0°C on the 37.0°C skin, (a) how much heat is given up by the water? (b) How much tissue mass, originally at 37.0°C, was involved in cooling the water?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a)
ΔT = 100.0°C - 45.0° = 55.0°C
c for human tissue is 3.5kJ\kgK
m = 4.0g = 0.004kg

Q=(0.004kg)(3.5kJ\kgK)(55.0°C)
Q=0.77kJ

Is this correct, or am I supposed to convert my temperatures to Kelvin? The 3.5kJ\kg*K throws me off a bit.

For part b)
I used the same equation, but plugged in my answer from part a, and 37°C
0.77kJ=m(3.5kJ\kgK)(37.0°C)
m=0.77kJ/(3.5kJ\kgK)(37.0°C)
m=0.005945946kg
m=5.95g

Have I done everything correctly here? I am reasonably sure that my answer for part a is correct, but part b I am not.

Physics news on Phys.org
The temperature, in this situation, need not be in Kelvin. Since degrees Kelvin are exactly the same size as degrees Celsius, one only needs to use Kelvin if absolute temperature is required, as in the Ideal Gas Law. All of your math appears to be correct, by the way.

Great, thank you. Although...my math is correct, yes, but did I use the proper equation for part b? My math can be correct all it wants, but I'll still get no marks if I use the wrong equation ;)

Yes, that is the correct equation.

Awesome. Thanks!

Hold on, why are you combining the temperature change of the water with the heat capacity of the skin?

1. How does heat transfer occur between boiling water and skin?

Heat transfer occurs through a process called convection, where the hot water molecules come into direct contact with the skin and transfer their energy to it.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer from boiling water to skin?

The rate of heat transfer can be affected by several factors including the temperature of the water, the surface area of skin in contact with the water, and the duration of exposure.

3. How can I calculate the amount of heat transferred from boiling water to skin?

The amount of heat transferred can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What are the potential risks of exposure to boiling water on skin?

Exposure to boiling water on skin can result in burns, scalding, and tissue damage. In severe cases, it can lead to permanent scarring or infection.

5. How can I prevent or minimize the risk of burns from boiling water on skin?

To prevent burns, always use caution when handling boiling water and wear protective gear such as gloves or aprons. If a burn does occur, immediately run cool water over the affected area and seek medical attention if necessary.