1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Heat

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Large beds of rock are used in some solar-heated homes to store heat. Assume that the specific heat of the rocks is 0.82 J/g-K. (a) Calculate the quantity of heat absorbed by 50.0 kg of rocks if their temperature increases by 12.0°C. (b) What temperature change would these rocks undergo if they emitted 450 kJ of heat?

2. Relevant equations

Cs=[itex]\frac{q}{m * ΔT}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a, I have rearranged the formula to give me q=Cs X m X ΔT, and got an answer of 4.9*105 J. Part B, however, all I could think to do was try and rearrange the equation again by solving for ΔT. Either I cannot figure out how to rearrange it (this is probably the case, I was never very good at that), or I am on the wrong track completely. Either way, I'm probably also over-thinking it.

Also, a question about forum rules, I am studying for a test that is tomorrow afternoon and will probably have several other questions tonight on a variety of subjects (such as ΔH, electron config, net ionic equations, concentrations of solutions/molarity etc). Am I allowed to create a new thread for each question or should I stick to this thread?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi FTCC.student! :smile:
    Should work.

Show us how far you got.
    yes :smile:

quick! :wink:

4. Nov 4, 2013 #3
    Well okay, this is what I got when I tried to solve for delta-T (I tried twice and did something wrong, I can't remember how to isolate it because it is in the denominator...) the -x- represents that variable being cancelled.

ΔT = [itex]\frac{Cs*m}{q}[/itex]

Which gave me: ΔT=(0.82 J/g-K)(50.0g)/450kJ

That answer was far from correct. I also tried multiplying all my given variables, also far from correct :(

So what I'm really confused on here probably isnt the actual chemistry portion, just how to rearrange the dang formula

5. Nov 4, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(Your LaTex was messed up because you used "" inside [itex]. That doesn't work. You have to use _ for subscript, ^ for superscript, etc.)
    Let's try that one step at a time:
    Cs=[itex]\frac{q}{m * ΔT}[/itex]​
    Multiply both sides by ΔT
    ΔT*Cs=[itex]\frac{q}{m}[/itex]​
    What next?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted