Deriving Relations for Specific Heats and Susceptibilities of Magnets

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving relations for equilibrium statistical mechanics from Birger Bergerson's textbook. The Homework Equations mentioned are C_X = T (∂S/∂T)X and χ_Y = T (∂M/∂H)Y, along with Maxwell relations and the chain rule. The attempted solution includes a typo in the susceptibility, but the correct result is known in the literature. The user asks if they have missed anything and how to delete the thread.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This question is from Birger Bergerson's textbook on Equilibrium Statistical mechanics.

Derive the relations
[tex] C_H-C_M = \frac{T}{\chi_T} \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)^2_H [/tex]
[tex] \chi_T-\chi_S= \frac{T}{C_H} \bigg( \frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)^2_H[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\chi_T}{\chi_S} = \frac{C_H}{C_M}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] C_X = T \bigg( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \bigg)_X[/tex]
[tex]\chi_Y = T \bigg( \frac{\partial M}{\partial H} \bigg)_Y[/tex]

Maxwell relations:
[tex] \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial H}\bigg)_T = \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)_H[/tex]

Chain rule:
[tex]\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\bigg)_H = \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\bigg)_M + \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial M}\bigg)_T \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)_H[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first relation I get ##T^2## instead of ##T##, I'll write my solution:

[tex] C_H-C_M = T\bigg(\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\bigg)_H - \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\bigg)_M \bigg)=T\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial M}\bigg)_T \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)_H[/tex]

Notice that ##\bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial M}\bigg)_T = \bigg(\frac{\partial S}{\partial H}\bigg)_T \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial H}\bigg)^{-1}_T = \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)_H \frac{T}{\chi_T}##, so if I plug the last relation to the relation above for ##C_H-C_M## I get ##C_H-C_M = \bigg( T^2/\chi_T \bigg) \bigg(\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}\bigg)^2_H##.

Am I right?

It seems this is a typo (if I am correct also appears in the third edition of this textbook).

Am I right?

Is this result known in the literature?

Have I missed something here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I see that the mistake is in the susceptibility, the ##T## is redundant there.

How to delete this thread?

1. What is the specific heat of magnets?

The specific heat of magnets refers to the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a specific amount of magnet material by one degree Celsius.

2. How is the specific heat of magnets measured?

The specific heat of magnets is typically measured using a technique called differential scanning calorimetry, which involves heating and cooling a sample of the magnet material while measuring the amount of heat absorbed or released.

3. What factors affect the specific heat of magnets?

The specific heat of magnets can be affected by a variety of factors, including the composition and structure of the magnet material, as well as any impurities or defects present in the material.

4. Why is the specific heat of magnets important?

The specific heat of magnets is important in understanding the thermal properties and behavior of magnet materials, which can have practical applications in various industries such as electronics, energy, and transportation.

5. Can the specific heat of magnets be changed?

Yes, the specific heat of magnets can be changed by altering the composition or structure of the magnet material, or by introducing impurities or defects. However, these changes may also affect other properties of the magnet.