1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Latent Heat of Ice HELP

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    How do i determine this, in J/kg, without the use of any calorimeteres? Keep it simple please

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

You can always just google it.

I don't think you can "determine" it without using a calorimeter.

4. May 10, 2004 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Specific heat and latent heat are two different things. Are you supposed to find both of them?

Edit: just noticed that the unit, J/kg, is for latent heat. "Specific heat" and "heat capacity" are both equivalent shorter phreases for "specific heat capacity." I have never heard the use of the term "Specific Latent heat" but I'll not go out on a limb and say it's "wrong." It sure sounds funny though.

No matter how you find them, even without a calorimeter, you need mass-scale, a heater, a thermometer, and a stopwatch.

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  5. May 10, 2004 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Measure vapor pressures of the solid and liquid phases; determine enthalpies of vaporization for both phases at 0 C; difference is enthalpy of fusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?