Discover the Most Used OS among Computer Users | Poll & Questions

In summary, the conversation was about computer users' operating systems and preferences. The original poster wanted to know which OS users preferred and requested that they post the OS they use the most. They also mentioned using Windows XP Pro at home and Windows 2000 or Unix at university. Some users expressed their preference for Windows 98, while others preferred XP. There was also a discussion about whether the conversation should be in the technology forum.

Which OS do you use the most? (lowest OS used if more than one please)

• Windows 95

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 98

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Windows ME

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 2000

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
LogicalAtheist
I have some questions about computer users settings and specs, so I'll use here as my audience, if it isn't minded.

Earlier a poll on OS was done. Since most users fell into two broad catagories, I'm interested to see the specifics of those two.

Please post the OS you use the most. If your office and work are different, I think posting the lesser of the two would be better, because I really want to see who uses win 95 and 98 versus the higher end ones. SO post the lower of the two if they're different.

Computer science news on Phys.org
At home I'm currently using Windows XP Pro. At uni I use Windows 2000 or the monstrous Unix network, which has more storage than the rest of the world put together (well, maybe not quite that much).

this might be better in the technology forum

I wasn't sure where it'd go. Ya can move it if you want!

Originally posted by Kerrie
this might be better in the technology forum

Then people get post counts, I don't think polls and general questions should get to count towards posts, anyways...

I chose Windows 98 because my dad doesn't like XP, or 2K, or linux:frown: When I go to college I'm switching to XP and probably dual-booting with linux.

well the best is win98 ... i like it...
if i need a lot of memory i go to winxp (these tow or on one of my HDD)
on the other one i have win ME and 2k but usually i work on the first hdd

win98 seems horrendous to me compared to XP (pro) which I'm on now.

I have some questions about computer users settings and specs, so I'll use here as my audience, if it isn't minded.
This should be in technology if you have question about computer users settings and specs... I suppose it is up to zero though but it fits much better in tech.

1. What is the most used operating system among computer users?

The most used operating system among computer users is Microsoft Windows. It has the highest market share and is used by a majority of users across the globe.

2. How does the popularity of operating systems vary across different regions?

The popularity of operating systems can vary significantly across different regions. For example, while Windows is the most used OS globally, macOS has a higher market share in North America and Linux is more popular in Europe.

3. Is there a difference in the most used OS among different types of devices?

Yes, there is a difference in the most used OS among different types of devices. While Windows dominates the desktop and laptop market, Android is the most used OS on mobile devices and iOS is popular among Apple devices.

4. Has the popularity of different operating systems changed over time?

Yes, the popularity of different operating systems has changed over time. In the past, Windows had a much higher market share, but with the rise of mobile devices, Android and iOS have gained significant popularity.

5. What factors contribute to the popularity of an operating system among users?

There are several factors that can contribute to the popularity of an operating system among users. These include ease of use, availability of software and apps, compatibility with hardware, security, and cost. User preferences and habits also play a role in the popularity of an OS.