1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific question on Goldstein section on Time-independent perturbation theory

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    I apologize that this is rather specific, but hopefully enough people have used Goldstein. I have a basic grasp of action-angle variables, and I'm going through the time-independent perturbation theory section in Goldstein (12.4).

In this section we seek a transformation from the unperturbed action-angle variables [itex](J_0, w_0)[/itex], to a new set [itex](J, w)[/itex] such that the [itex]J[/itex]'s are all constant, and therefore the [itex]w[/itex]'s are all linear functions of time.

In the first equation of the section, 12.61 (all equation numbers from the 3rd edition), he writes [itex]q_k[/itex] as a multiple Fourier expansion of all the [itex]w_0[/itex]'s. Specifically, this assumes that [itex]q_k[/itex] is a periodic function of each of the [itex]w_0[/itex]'s. They make this point again just before equation 12.74, saying that in order for the q's and p's to be periodic in both [itex]w_0[/itex] and [itex]w[/itex] then ...

What I don't understand is: Why should q be periodic in the unperturbed angle variables [itex]w_0[/itex]? I agree that they should be periodic in the perturbed angle variables [itex]w[/itex]. The argument in one dimension would run like this:

If you move the system through one cycle of q, the change in [itex]w[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\Delta w = \oint \frac{\partial w}{\partial q} dq[/itex]
    [itex] = \oint \frac{\partial^2 W}{\partial J \partial q} dq[/itex]
    [itex] = \frac{\partial}{\partial J} \oint \frac{\partial W}{\partial q} dq[/itex]

where the partial with respect to J can only be taken outside the integral because it is constant!

[itex] = \frac{\partial}{\partial J} \oint p dq = \frac{\partial}{\partial J} J = 1 [/itex]

so every time w advances by 1, q returns to its same value, and is therefore periodic in w with period 1.

But I don't see how this works for [itex]w_0[/itex]! The argument runs analogously until the third line:

[itex]\Delta w_0 = \oint \frac{\partial w_0}{\partial q} dq[/itex]
    [itex] = \oint \frac{\partial^2 W_0}{\partial J_0 \partial q} dq[/itex]

but now you shouldn't be able to take out the partial with respect [itex]J_0[/itex], since it will no longer be constant, right? [itex]J_0[/itex] was the constant action variable in the unperturbed problem, but once you add a perturbation, the perturbation Hamiltonian will in general depend on [itex]w_0[/itex], i.e. [itex] \Delta H = \Delta H(w_0, J_0, t)[/itex]. Therefore [itex]\dot{J_0} = -\frac{\partial \Delta H}{\partial w_0} \neq 0[/itex]

I know it's pretty specific, but if anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted