Calculating Specific Volume of Water at 500 kPa and 20°C

In summary, specific volume of water is a measure of the amount of space occupied by a unit mass of water at a specific temperature and pressure. It can be calculated by dividing the volume of water by its mass or by using the ideal gas law. Temperature and pressure are the main factors that affect the specific volume of water. It is important in scientific research as it helps understand the behavior of water in different environments and is used in various calculations and experiments. The specific volume of water differs from the density of water in that it takes into account the space occupied by a unit mass of water, while density measures the mass per unit volume of water.
umblanc3

Homework Statement

water at 500 kpa and 20 degrees Celsius

Homework Equations

how do i find the specific volume?

The Attempt at a Solution

my charts only give me specific volume at the saturation points, but i know this is below any saturation point, so I've hit a road block

Physics news on Phys.org
Below the saturation point, water is a compressed liquid. 500 kPa = 0.5 MPa ~ 5 atm.

The saturated liquid is a reasonably good approximation for specific volume. What's the compressibility of water?

Does one have access to a compressed liquid table?

http://www.thermo.sdsu.edu/testhome/Test/solve/basics/tables/tablesPC/subH2O.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is specific volume of water?

Specific volume of water is a measure of the amount of space occupied by a unit mass of water at a specific temperature and pressure. It is typically expressed in units of cubic meters per kilogram (m3/kg).

How is specific volume of water calculated?

Specific volume of water can be calculated by dividing the volume of water by its mass. It can also be calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account temperature and pressure.

What factors affect the specific volume of water?

The specific volume of water is affected by temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the specific volume of water also increases. As pressure increases, the specific volume of water decreases.

Why is specific volume of water important in scientific research?

Specific volume of water is important in scientific research because it is a key parameter in understanding the behavior of water in different environments. It is also used in various calculations and experiments involving water, such as in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.

How does the specific volume of water differ from the density of water?

The specific volume of water and the density of water are inversely related. As the specific volume increases, the density decreases. However, the specific volume takes into account the amount of space occupied by a unit mass of water, while density measures the mass per unit volume of water.