1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specifications for Passive filter?

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to design a passive filter for a home power conditioning device. It is for a standard 120V 60Hz outlet with a 15A fuse. I have decided to go with 'pi' or 'T' filter, but I am having trouble locating the specifications needed to choose the necessary parts.

It is my understanding that I will be using a low-pass filter. I have also decided to use 3 220V rated Metal Oxide Varistor's between the lines in order to control voltage spikes.

The loads being attached will be both capacitive and inductive. For example, a television, computer, 3/4 HP motor. I plan to have 2 outlets connected to the device.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

I understand that the equations of 2*Pi*F*L and XL/(XL + XC) are to be used in determining the input vs the output.

3. The attempt at a solution

It is my understanding that in order to calculate the parts, I need to know the characteristic impedance of the lines going in. I have searched on-line for specifications, but have not turned up anything along the lines of my design. I would like my design to use only passive components.

I do not wish for anyone to provide me with a solution, but if anyone can direct me to the information I am seeking, it would be greatly appreciated. I am just getting really frustrated trying to find the information, and any direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?