What Are the Domain and Range of Transformed Functions?

• Thread starter coco richie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the conversation discusses exercises involving a function with a specific domain and range, and the task of sketching the graph of certain variations of the function and determining their respective domains and ranges. The concept of graphical transformations is mentioned, and examples are given to explain how these transformations affect the graph and its domain and range. The conversation ends with a request for further help and clarification on the topic.
coco richie

Homework Statement

In exercises 39-46, f refers to the function with domain [0,2] and range [0,1], whose graph is shown in Figure P.55 (how do I draw and paste graphs? the graph looks like an upside down curve with a maximum height or range of (1,1) and a width or domain of (0,2)). Sketch the graph of the indicated functions and specify their domain and ranges.

Homework Equations

39. f(x) + 2
41. f(x + 2)
43. -f(x)
45. f(4 - x)

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look in your book for information on graphical transformations of functions (or something like that) and READ the material. Then try these problems again and show us your attempt of the solution.

Is there anyone who can help me with a couple of these problems so that I can get the gist of it? How do I interpret something like f(x) + 2? I've never came across such a problem in my life? Please help.

If "helping you" means give you answers, we can't, because that would be against the forum rules. However, I will get you started, but in doing so I may be violating the forum rules.

Suppose f(x) is another function, [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x}[/tex]. I assume you know how to graph this.) The domain would be [0, ∞) and the range would be [0, ∞). If we look at f(x) + 5, this would mean [tex]f(x) + 5 = \sqrt{x} + 5[/tex], so if you graph this, you can see that the new graph has shifted up 5 units. This does not change the domain, but the range will change. The domain of f(x) + 5 is still [0, ∞), but this time the range is [5, ∞). Now look at f(x - 8), or [tex]f(x - 8) = \sqrt{x - 8}[/tex]. If you graph this, the graph will shift 8 units to the right of f(x). The range will be the same, but this time the domain will be different. The domain of f(x) is [0, ∞), but the domain of f(x - 8) is [8, ∞). The range of both functions will be the same, [0, ∞). Again, you really should read the section in your book about graphical transformations. They'll probably use a letter as part of their notation, like f(x) + c ("c" is what my book uses). Or heck, you could probably Google all of this.

Anything of the form af(x)+ b- that is where all changes are outside the function- changes only the range.

Anythihng of the form f(ax+ b)- that is where all changes are inside the function- changes only the domain.

1. What is the purpose of specifying domain and ranges in scientific research?

Specifying domain and ranges helps to define the scope and limitations of a study. It helps to identify the specific variables and values that will be studied and compared, making the research more focused and accurate.

2. How do you determine the appropriate domain and ranges for a research study?

The domain and ranges should be determined based on the research question and objectives. They should be specific and relevant to the variables being studied and should cover a sufficient range of values to provide meaningful results.

3. Can the domain and ranges be modified during the course of a study?

Yes, the domain and ranges can be modified if necessary. For example, if new variables are discovered or if the initial ranges are found to be inadequate, they can be adjusted to better fit the research objectives.

4. How does specifying domain and ranges aid in data interpretation?

Specifying domain and ranges makes it easier to interpret the data collected during a study. It allows for comparison of data points within the defined range and helps to identify any patterns or relationships between the variables being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to specifying domain and ranges in scientific research?

One limitation is that it may be difficult to determine the exact domain and ranges for complex or abstract variables. In addition, the chosen domain and ranges may not fully represent the complexity of the real world, leading to potential inaccuracies in the results.