Spectator Ions in Precipitation Equations: Identifying and Understanding Them

• Thread starter crybllrd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, the spectator ions in the precipitation equation Pb(NO3)2+ 2KI --> PbI2 + 2KNO3 are K+ and NO3-. The correct answer was determined by understanding the solubility rules and the charges of the ions involved.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

The spectator ions in the precipitation equation Pb(NO3)2+ 2KI --> PbI2 + 2KNO3 are ________.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working through a lot of practice problems for next week's final exam, and I seem to be struggling with this concept.
I know the spectator ions 'do nothing', so I am thinking that means they are the ones that are unchanged. That logic got me through most of them, but not this last one.
Here is what I have been doing to solve them (which I know does not yield the correct answer):

I added the charges:

Pb+2 (NO3+)2+ 2K+I- --> Pb+2I-2 + 2K+NO-3

and then I note what each one does:

Pb+2 --> Pb+2

(NO3+)2 --> NO-3

2K+ --> 2K+

2I- --> I-2

So from that logic I would assume that

Pb+2 and 2K+

are the spectator ions (because they did not change), which is not an answer choice.
What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not that they "do nothing", it is more about not changing during reaction.

Instead of writing substances the way you did it you should write them as dissociated or solids/gases (using (aq), (s) and (g) designators).

PbI2 is solid, so ions that were precipitated are no longer present in the solution.

Why do you think nitrate in lead nitrate is positive, and in potassium nitrate negative? Do you mean that any lead nitrate molecule has a +4 charge?

Also note - when dissociating things like Pb(NO3)2 they don't dissociate into Pb2+ and (NO3)2whatever charge, but into separate ions:

Pb(NO3)2 -> Pb2+ + 2NO3-

Similarly, what you did to lead iodide is wrong. There is no I2- in PbI2, there are two I-.

I am surprised you were able to get correct answers to other problems, as it seems like you misunderstand almost every concept needed to solve this type of the question.

crybllrd said:

Homework Statement

The spectator ions in the precipitation equation Pb(NO3)2+ 2KI --> PbI2 + 2KNO3 are ________.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working through a lot of practice problems for next week's final exam, and I seem to be struggling with this concept.
I know the spectator ions 'do nothing', so I am thinking that means they are the ones that are unchanged. That logic got me through most of them, but not this last one.
Here is what I have been doing to solve them (which I know does not yield the correct answer):

I added the charges:

Pb+2 (NO3+)2+ 2K+I- --> Pb+2I-2 + 2K+NO-3

and then I note what each one does:

Pb+2 --> Pb+2

(NO3+)2 --> NO-3

2K+ --> 2K+

2I- --> I-2

So from that logic I would assume that

Pb+2 and 2K+

are the spectator ions (because they did not change), which is not an answer choice.
What did I do wrong?

Nope. Pb2+ and 2I- combine and form a solid PbI2 precipitate. The spectator ions would be K+ and NO3- since they don't react and remain in the solution as ions. I don't know if they have you memorize the solubility rules, but you have to memorize the solubility rules. XD Without knowing them, you can't really tell what is soluble and what isn't. Also the charges of the ions must be known.

1. What are spectator ions?

Spectator ions are ions that are present in a chemical reaction but do not participate in the actual reaction. They are usually present in aqueous solutions and do not undergo any chemical change.

2. How do you identify spectator ions?

Spectator ions can be identified by looking at the chemical equation of a reaction. The ions that appear on both sides of the equation in their same ionic form are spectator ions.

3. Why are spectator ions important in chemical reactions?

Spectator ions do not affect the overall outcome of a reaction, but they are important to consider in order to properly balance the equation. They also play a role in determining the solubility of a substance in a solution.

4. Can spectator ions be removed from a reaction?

Yes, spectator ions can be removed from a reaction by using a process called precipitation. This involves adding a specific reagent that will react with the spectator ions and form an insoluble product, which can then be filtered out.

5. How do spectator ions affect the equilibrium of a reaction?

Spectator ions do not affect the equilibrium of a reaction as they do not undergo any chemical change. However, they can impact the concentration of other ions in a solution, which can indirectly affect the equilibrium.