Spectra Classification: Finding Sources for Stellar Objects

In summary, spectra classification is a method used to categorize and classify stellar objects based on their spectra. This is done by analyzing the absorption and emission lines in the object's spectra, which can reveal information about its composition, temperature, and motion. The most commonly used classification system is the Harvard spectral classification scheme, but there are also other systems that take into account factors such as luminosity and size. Spectra classification is important because it allows scientists to study and understand the properties of different celestial objects. It is also used to identify and study sources for these objects, including those that are too far away or faint to be observed directly.
Cygni
Hello PF readers,

I've got trouble in finding neat examples of spectra of various stellar objects including quasars. Are there any sources of information that I could look for?(I would prefer to get the images of the spectra) I would use the examples of spectra to identify certain stellar objects that I need for my project.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Cygni.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. What is spectra classification?

Spectra classification is a method used to categorize and classify stellar objects based on their spectra, which is the distribution of light emitted by the object at different wavelengths. This can provide valuable information about the composition, temperature, and other properties of the object.

2. How is spectra classification performed?

Spectra classification is typically done by analyzing the absorption and emission lines in the object's spectra. These lines correspond to specific elements and molecules present in the object, allowing scientists to determine its chemical composition. The intensity and shape of these lines can also reveal information about the object's temperature and motion.

3. What are the different types of spectra classification?

The most commonly used classification system is the Harvard spectral classification scheme, which categorizes stars based on their temperature and spectral features. There are also other systems, such as the Morgan-Keenan system, that take into account the luminosity and size of the star.

4. Why is spectra classification important?

Spectra classification is important because it allows scientists to study and understand the properties of different stellar objects. By analyzing the spectra, we can determine the composition, temperature, and other characteristics of stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects. This information can help us better understand the universe and its evolution.

5. How is spectra classification used to find sources for stellar objects?

By analyzing the spectra of different objects, scientists can identify the specific elements and molecules present in them. This can help them determine the type and nature of the object and its source. Spectra classification can also be used to identify and study the properties of objects that are too far away or too faint to be observed directly.