Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150 questions

In summary, the author found that the telescope was not good for viewing planets or nebulae. He recommends purchasing a telescope that is better suited for those purposes.
Gliese123
Hello everyone! I bought a Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150 (reflector) for 260 Euro a few days ago and I had quite big expectations on it. The including oculars was on 25mm and 6.5 mm. But when I was going to look at Jupiter recently, then I didn't get a more visible view than a little dot and extremely small dots of its moons. (I've no light pollution) I tested different items I got with it but it was... well, crap! My expectations smashed into pieces. And the sharpness was horrible! A blurry dot was everything I saw. (I had at least expected some contrast and zoom, but nothing...) And as I said, I tested the different oculars and I also got one 2X Barlow, but the view was crap. First of all, the mirror and everything was totally clean and it was no moisture on it, an everything was placed correctly. But it was horrible. The including description claimed that the telescope was able to see nebulae and planets very good, but I consider NOT!.. I'll return it and hopefully I get the money back. This was my opinions, but someone might bought a similar model and are pleased about it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Got a link to the manufacturers website or somewhere else with the details of your scope Gliese?

Gliese123 said:
Hello everyone! I bought a Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150 (reflector) for 260 Euro a few days ago and I had quite big expectations on it. The including oculars was on 25mm and 6.5 mm. But when I was going to look at Jupiter recently, then I didn't get a more visible view than a little dot and extremely small dots of its moons. (I've no light pollution) I tested different items I got with it but it was... well, crap! My expectations smashed into pieces. And the sharpness was horrible! A blurry dot was everything I saw. (I had at least expected some contrast and zoom, but nothing...) And as I said, I tested the different oculars and I also got one 2X Barlow, but the view was crap. First of all, the mirror and everything was totally clean and it was no moisture on it, an everything was placed correctly. But it was horrible. The including description claimed that the telescope was able to see nebulae and planets very good, but I consider NOT!.. I'll return it and hopefully I get the money back. This was my opinions, but someone might bought a similar model and are pleased about it?

Have you collimated it? It could easily look like crap until it's been properly tuned.

Quick test:
1] Point at a bright star.
2] Defocus your eyepiece a lot.
3] The star should defocus into a large perfect ring with 3 (or 4) vanes (your scope's secondary mirror and spider vanes).

If the ring is somehow distorted or askew, invest in a Cheshire eyepiece for about 50 bucks. First collimation will take an hour or two. After that only seasonal adjustments might be necessary.

Some other things:
- Ditch the Barlow.
- Use only your lowest power eyepiece (the 6.5) until you're satisfied with performance and with your skills.
- Try pointing at a local but distant light source (not the sun or anywhere near it! You will permanently blind yourself!). A distant streetlight or window (100+ feet). This will help you adjust your finder scope, help you practice targeting with your main, and makes it easier to practice focusing. Once you get something you can see, You can swing it around to the stars and re-adjust focus.

Last edited:
This is how it looks like: http://images.pricerunner.com/product/image/210758304/Spectra-Optics-teleskop-1400x150.jpg

But I don't know if it's available to buy anywhere else than here.. It's perhaps a small manufacturer. I didn't find any link of any English one: This is the Swedish one: http://teknikmagasinet.se/db.pl?tf=product.html&artnr=600134

Maybe I'm just bought something that can be better if it's an other manufacturer.. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gliese123 said:
Maybe I'm just bought something that can be better if it's an other manufacturer.. ?

Try my test. I may be a fine scope. You won't know until you check.

A 150mm reflector should provide decent views of Jupiter. Besides collimation, some other possibilities:

1. How high was Jupiter off the horizon when you were viewing it? When low to the horizon, objects are always blurry.
2. A clear night does not necessarily equal good "seeing". The air needs to be still, all through the atmosphere.
3. Don't go too high with the magnification. Yes, it will be a little small, but the detail should show up better. If you magnify beyond the acuity of your eye, the object will get bigger but blurrier. So that means use your 6.5mm eyepiece without the barlow or the 25mm eyepiece with it.
4. Temper your expectations. You shold be able to clearly see the great red spot and color bands on Jupiter and a the shadow of a moon going across (every 3rd or 4th night), but that ain't the Hubble you're using. If you were expecting Hubble-like views...sorry, you were misled.

russ_watters said:
A 150mm reflector should provide decent views of Jupiter. Besides collimation, some other possibilities:

1. How high was Jupiter off the horizon when you were viewing it? When low to the horizon, objects are always blurry.
2. A clear night does not necessarily equal good "seeing". The air needs to be still, all through the atmosphere.
3. Don't go too high with the magnification. Yes, it will be a little small, but the detail should show up better. If you magnify beyond the acuity of your eye, the object will get bigger but blurrier. So that means use your 6.5mm eyepiece without the barlow or the 25mm eyepiece with it.
4. Temper your expectations. You shold be able to clearly see the great red spot and color bands on Jupiter and a the shadow of a moon going across (every 3rd or 4th night), but that ain't the Hubble you're using. If you were expecting Hubble-like views...sorry, you were misled.

I really thought the observation through this telescope should provided some decent view too... The planet Jupiter was fairly high over the horizon, which I also watched in different times of the evening. 20:00-23:00 (24h) that evening which gave the planet plenty of time to go high up over the horizon. There was no atmospheric interference as I perceived, no foggy clouds. The dot was not twinkle and shaking but rather hard to get a focus on. The weird thing about it was that I tested with and without the 2X Barlow and both the 25mm and the 6.5mm but it didn't make it more visible than a small dot. I really didn't expected Hubble images but at least as you said, a clear visible view of the great spot of Jupiter. What I wanted was a nice zoom and some sharpness, which was denied... At some point I think it's wrong to sell this kind of telescope and less functional than I bought... It really intimidate people from watching the night sky...

Gliese123 said:
Barlow and both the 25mm and the 6.5mm but it didn't make it more visible than a small dot.
This has got to be operator error if you were seeing a small dot. Even with a 6.5mm,Jupiter should have been a disc with bands.
Gliese123 said:
At some point I think it's wrong to sell this kind of telescope and less functional than I bought... It really intimidate people from watching the night sky...
Don't give up yet. The scope might not be the problem.

It does take a bit of skill, and results can be disappointing until you get proficient.

I'm almost thinking he didn't get the scope centered on Jupiter!

russ_watters said:
I'm almost thinking he didn't get the scope centered on Jupiter!

That was my thought.

With a 1400mm focal length and a 150mm aperature, that gives it an f9.3. With the 6.5mm eyepiece that gives a mag of 142x.
(http://www.csgnetwork.com/telescopemagcalc.html)

That gives Jupiter (actual angular diameter of at least 30 arcseconds) a magnified diameter of ... 71 arcminutes? That's more than twice the size of the Moon. Someone want to check my work?Gliese, you were not looking at Jupiter.

Last edited:

I have a 90mm portable reflector bought more for hiking and birdwatching and can see a few major bands, clear disk, nice moons. I live in an urban area, with no great seeing. I can say I've never quite made out the redspot with this scope where I live. Something very fishy here.

PAllen said:
I have a 90mm portable reflector bought more for hiking and birdwatching and can see a few major bands, clear disk, nice moons. I live in an urban area, with no great seeing. I can say I've never quite made out the redspot with this scope where I live. Something very fishy here.

I've got a 10 inch schmidt-Newtonian and I've never even made out the red spot. I think I just suck at collimation...(aligning the mirrors)

Drakkith said:
I've got a 10 inch schmidt-Newtonian and I've never even made out the red spot. I think I just suck at collimation...(aligning the mirrors)
You have a ten inch scope and you haven't seen the Red Spot?

Where do you live? Times Square?

DaveC426913 said:
You have a ten inch scope and you haven't seen the Red Spot?

Where do you live? Times Square?

Would that matter? I think my collimation sucks is all. Not sure though. I've done the best I can, and even use a good laser collimator.
Edit: The views from my front yard are no different than when I head out to my buddies house or the local observatory, both are in much better light pollution areas than my front yard.

I have an older 90mm APO by Vernon, and it gives good views of Jupiter, the color bands, and the red spot. Limiting resolution is not the issue with an easy target like Jupiter. In fact, I can crank up the magnification by dropping in a 2" barlow when the seeing is good. This isn't a Tak Sky 90 by any means, but it's still a decent little 'scope that I use for a finder/guidescope for the the 6" APO. I'd like to get some of the respondents together and inspect and adjust their 'scopes and spend a bit of time observing - some of the recent statements don't add up.

The red spot may be an issue these days as it has been changing color/fading...and, of course, it is only visible about half theh time...

But there are two very distinct dark bands that should be visible in a very small scope. I made them out even with a pair of 50mm binos on a ship!

turbo said:
I'd like to get some of the respondents together and inspect and adjust their 'scopes and spend a bit of time observing - some of the recent statements don't add up.

Lol. If your anywhere near Shreveport, Louisiana sure. Or if you know a really good dark spot within a few hours, I'd love to spend a few nights taking pictures without all this horrible light pollution.

DaveC426913 said:
That was my thought.

With a 1400mm focal length and a 150mm aperature, that gives it an f9.3. With the 6.5mm eyepiece that gives a mag of 142x.
(http://www.csgnetwork.com/telescopemagcalc.html)

That gives Jupiter (actual angular diameter of at least 30 arcseconds) a magnified diameter of ... 71 arcminutes? That's more than twice the size of the Moon. Someone want to check my work?

Gliese, you were not looking at Jupiter.

Of course I looked at Jupiter! I'm not stupid.. I saw the moons as smaller dots around it. But just that, dots.. I am an enuthiast of space and know more than some people think I do. Do I have to get a master examination to show that I'm interested in astronomy? I know that I looked at Jupiter. I also know that Mars is currently rising over the horizon at ~02:30 at midnight at my latitude.

I think that the best telescope I've right now is my computer for sure. And as a poor student, there isn't so much I can do if I want to see some celestial objects for real. I really wish for a winning ticket..

Last edited:

Gliese123 said:
Of course I looked at Jupiter! I'm not stupid.. I saw the moons as smaller dots around it. But just that, dots.. I am an enuthiast of space and know more than some people think I do. Do I have to get a master examination to show that I'm interested in astronomy? I know that I looked at Jupiter. I also know that Mars is currently rising over the horizon at ~02:30 at midnight at my latitude.
I'm sorry. Gliese no offense was intended.

I read that you "saw Jupiter as a small dot". That just doesn't make sense with your scope.

Even if it were poorly collimated, you still wouldn't see a small dot - you'd see a large blurry disc.

So, if you're seeing a small dot, I don't know what other conclusion to come to.

No worries. I think it's strange that I didn't saw more and longer than I was supposed to do..

Gliese123 said:
No worries. I think it's strange that I didn't saw more and longer than I was supposed to do..

Where do you live? Are there any astronomy clubs near you? They would probably be very happy to take a look at your scope and see if there's a problem.

DaveC426913 said:
Where do you live? Are there any astronomy clubs near you? They would probably be very happy to take a look at your scope and see if there's a problem.

Well, I've returned the telescope now and got the money back.. I'll find some better way to look at the night sky. I might consider to join some astronomy club near me, there should be some. I live in south east Sweden. Approx. 62° North.

Gliese123 said:
Well, I've returned the telescope now and got the money back.. I'll find some better way to look at the night sky. I might consider to join some astronomy club near me, there should be some. I live in south east Sweden. Approx. 62° North.

Before you give up, I would seek out a local club and spend a little time stargazing with some of their scopes with them. Our local club has monthly public stargazing meetings where anyone can show up and look through peoples scopes.

Drakkith said:
Before you give up, I would seek out a local club and spend a little time stargazing with some of their scopes with them. Our local club has monthly public stargazing meetings where anyone can show up and look through peoples scopes.
That's always my first recommendation to newbies. Many people come to the hobby with unreasonable expectations, and are quickly disappointed. Plus, if you chat up the members at a star-party, you may find someone who will sell you a well-maintained 'scope with some accessories, because they want to upgrade, or perhaps buy a $$$ eyepiece. Best of all, you get to try it first!

What is the magnification power of the Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150?

The Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150 has a magnification power of 1400 times, meaning it can enlarge an object 1400 times its original size.

What is the size and weight of the Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150?

This telescope has a size of 150mm (5.9 inches) in diameter and 1400mm (55 inches) in length. It weighs approximately 5.5 kilograms (12 pounds).

Can the Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150 be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, this telescope is designed for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. It comes with two eyepieces, one for low power viewing of terrestrial objects and one for high power viewing of celestial objects.

What type of optics does the Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150 use?

This telescope uses a combination of lenses and mirrors to gather and magnify light. It has a primary mirror with a diameter of 150mm (5.9 inches) and a focal length of 1400mm (55 inches).

Can the Spectra Optics telescope 1400X150 be mounted on a tripod?

Yes, this telescope can be mounted on a tripod for stability and ease of use. It comes with a standard tripod adapter that fits most tripods.