1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectra Troubles

1. Oct 14, 2005 #1
    Consider the Lyman photons for Hydrogen-like atoms with Z greater than one. Which of these atoms have Lyman alpha photons in the 1)visible 2)UV 3)X-ray and 4)gamma-ray parts of the spectrum? Can list ranges of values of Z in the answers.

My thoughts are to use

1/lambda= (-Ze^2/2ahc)(1/n^2-1/m^2) where a is the Bohr radius and n=2, m=1.

I started by putting in the ranges i know for the different radiations ie) visible ranges from 4000 angstrom to 7000 angstrom, and solving for Z. I got results using this method that say that there are none in the visible range and for the UV, Z= 12 or under. Things are falling apart with the X-ray range which leads me to believe that there is a simpler method.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Note: i did make sure that everything was in the appropriate units.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2
    I have tried working on this the last few days, but have been unable to decide what is going on. I know there must be an easy way to do this, but for some reason i am stuck. Any help? Thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?