1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectral Analysis: alternatives to Fourier Transforms?

1. Mar 2, 2004 #1
    hi,

Could someone point me to some good material that relates to problems of (computational) spectral analysis? I understand FFT well enough, and although I'm not very good with math I'm willing to chew. What I'm seeking is some alternative approach to Fourier transformation (ie. from time-domain into dynamic frequency domain).

I'm not even sure what exactly I'm after, for now I just want to learn all approaches that have been tried. I don't even know what to google for. FFT gives too much noise..

thanks for pointers.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2004 #2

Haelfix

Science Advisor

There's several 'kernels' you can pick. Popular ones are fourier transforms, laplace transforms and wavelet transforms.

I suggest reading up on the latter

4. Mar 4, 2004 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

There's also Kramers-Kronig transforms.

http://www.galactic.com/Algorithms/kk_trans.htm

I did a couple years of FTIR spectroscopy, millimeter waves really, not IR. It is hard to beat.

Njorl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook