Spectral class of stars

• I
  • Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I understand the process of electron transitions but I don't understand how or why these pictures are put together. If we're looking at the spectra of a star, why are this pictures shown as absorption spectra and not emission?
spec_with_temp.gif

Attachments

Answers and Replies

phyzguy
Science Advisor
This is the spectrum of the light that actually comes from the star. We don't get to choose whether emission or absorption dominates - the physics of the star determines that. Most of the light from the star is continuous black-body radiation from the stellar plasma and not from atomic emission lines. The absorption lines remove some of this continuum spectrum.

Likes unusually_wrong, Klystron and lomidrevo
The terminology can be confusing sometimes, indeed. The spectrum of a typical star is continuous, determined by the effective temperature of the photosphere of the star. However, there are absorption spectral lines superimposed on this continuum, because photons of some specific wavelengths are being absorbed as trying to escape through the stellar atmosphere. The absorption spectrum is determined by the composition of the atmosphere and by the level of ionization.

ahhh that makes total sense. thank you guys!

i usually do a solid hour of digging before i consult the experts. thanks guys!