Deconvolution of Spectra for Near-Infrared Astronomical Instruments

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of deconvolution in long slit spectroscopy for an astronomical instrument. The person is unsure if deconvolution is necessary and explains that the observed spectrum is convolved with a sinc function, causing a less steep change than the actual spectrum. They ask if there are any deconvolution methods that can correct this. The conversation also mentions a book on deconvolution in spectroscopy and suggests using Google for more references.
Deckard
Hi,

I am working on long slit spectroscopy for an astronomical instrument, and I think I need deconvolution, but I am not sure, so maybe you will be able to answer me :) Currently those are only simulations. I work in near-infrared (0.950 -> 2.2 micron) with a low resolution (R=30).

My problem is that the spectrum I am supposed to observe can be very steep (ie I can have a quick flux variation between [tex]\lambda[/tex] and [tex]\lambda+\delta\lambda[/tex]), but when I watch them through my instrument, this spectrum is convolved with the slit LSF (line spread function), which is a sinc function ([tex]sinc(x)=sin(\pi x)/\pi x[/tex]). Of course the width of the LSF varies acording to wavelength, and then is much larger at 0.95 micron than at 2.2 micron. And when I observe a steep change in the spectrum through the spectrograph, the change is much less steeper because it has been convolved with the LSF which is less steeper.

Are there some deconvolution methods that can correct, at least partialy what I describe?

I hpe what I say is making sense. If it's not I can post some picture to illustrate this. Thanks a lot in advance.

-- Arthur;

Physics news on Phys.org
Deconvolution. With applications in spectroscopy, PA Jansson - New York: Academic Press, 1984, edited by Jansson, Peter A., 1984

... and thousands of other references. Use Google.

Hi Arthur, thank you for reaching out with your question about deconvolution of spectra for near-infrared astronomical instruments. Deconvolution is a common technique used in spectroscopy to remove the effects of instrumental broadening, such as the slit LSF you mentioned, and reveal the intrinsic spectral features of the object being observed. It can also help improve the spectral resolution of the instrument.

There are several deconvolution methods that can be used, such as the Richardson-Lucy algorithm, maximum entropy method, and Fourier deconvolution. These methods work by mathematically reversing the convolution process, essentially "un-blurring" the spectrum. However, deconvolution can be a complex and challenging process, especially in the near-infrared where the signal-to-noise ratio is typically lower compared to visible wavelengths.

In your case, it may be helpful to first try simulating your data with a known spectral shape, and then applying different deconvolution methods to see which one gives the best results. Additionally, you may want to consider using a higher resolution instrument, if possible, to reduce the effects of the slit LSF on your observations.

I hope this information helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is deconvolution of spectra for near-infrared astronomical instruments?

Deconvolution of spectra is a computational technique used to improve the spatial resolution and signal-to-noise ratio of astronomical data obtained by near-infrared instruments. It involves removing the blurring effects caused by the atmosphere and telescope optics, allowing for a clearer and more detailed view of celestial objects.

2. Why is deconvolution important for near-infrared astronomy?

Near-infrared astronomy involves studying objects that emit light in the near-infrared wavelength range, which is longer than visible light. This type of light is easily absorbed and scattered by the atmosphere and telescope optics, resulting in blurred and distorted images. Deconvolution helps to correct for these effects and reveal the true structure and properties of the observed objects.

3. How is deconvolution of spectra performed?

Deconvolution of spectra is typically done using mathematical algorithms and computer software. The process involves modeling the blurring effects and then using this model to deconvolve the data. This requires knowledge of the instrument's characteristics and careful calibration to ensure accurate results.

4. What are some challenges of deconvolution for near-infrared astronomy?

Deconvolution can be a complex and computationally intensive process, especially for large datasets. It also requires precise knowledge of the instrument's characteristics and any potential sources of error. Additionally, deconvolution can introduce artifacts and noise into the data if not performed correctly.

5. How does deconvolution of spectra benefit astronomical research?

Deconvolution allows for a more detailed and accurate view of celestial objects, which can provide valuable insights into their properties and evolution. It also enables the detection and study of faint and distant objects that would otherwise be impossible to observe with the blurring effects of the atmosphere and telescope optics. This can lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of the universe.