What Are the Dangers of Spectral Lines from EM Sources?

In summary, this particle accelerator has a small interior volume and is using a hard vacuum to pull the air out. The power supply has a value of 20,000 volts and is designed to be used with high voltage. X-ray shielding is being used to protect the user from harmful radiation.
braxton
TL;DR Summary
Hello, I'm working on building a particle accelerator. There is a 6mm Quartz Sphere stone located near the target where electrons collide producing what I'm assuming to be an emissions/absorption spectrum of some sort? I'm really new at science in general. I'm just wondering if anything (elements, energy levels,etc) can be identified by the lines being emitted from the crystal.
Screenshot_2023-01-20-01-57-18.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-20-01-47-47~2.png
    Screenshot_2023-01-20-01-47-47~2.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2022-11-30-11-14-14.png
    Screenshot_2022-11-30-11-14-14.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 1674233095060~2.jpg
    1674233095060~2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 1674232942468~2.jpg
    1674232942468~2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 49
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

How much interior volume does this particle accelerator have, and how hard of a vacuum are you pulling for that volume? What is the value of your high voltage power supply? What kind of X-ray shielding are you currently using?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

How much interior volume does this particle accelerator have, and how hard of a vacuum are you pulling for that volume? What is the value of your high voltage power supply? What kind of X-ray shielding are you currently using?

Right now i do not have a vacuum set up, I have been working on a housing so I can accomplish that, so right now it is just open/exposed to atmosphere. The target area is approx 4 cubic inches. I disassembled a car battery and made many 1 inch thick sealed Lead blankets, in between the blankets I also have 1 inch thick wax blocks and sitting in front of all of that I filled up empty milk bottles with water because I was getting readings on the Geiger counter of 1000CPM intermittently, there was some spikes a few times at 2000 and 3000 CPM. The voltage of the power supply is 20,000 volts.

A, You should look up x-ray fluorescence.
B. If you are trying to accelerate electrons in air, you probably can't. Sure something else may be happening, heaven knows what.
As a rule. the order is study, design, construct and operate, in that order.
C. Lots of people come here saying they want to build a particle accelerator. Few if any do it safely. Most end up getting their threads closed.

Likes dlgoff, vanhees71 and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
A, You should look up x-ray fluorescence.
B. If you are trying to accelerate electrons in air, you probably can't. Sure something else may be happening, heaven knows what.
As a rule. the order is study, design, construct and operate, in that order.
C. Lots of people come here saying they want to build a particle accelerator. Few if any do it safely. Most end up getting their threads closed.
Thank you so much for replying and trying to help me out! I'm really not trying to come here to find out how to build one as I already have the set up I'm using. I'm more or less trying to get ideas of what some of the products I'm seeing that are being produced are, e.g ( the straight lines emitting from the stone, radiations, etc... ) I definitely don't want to have any of the threads I post closed. What causes people to have the threads closed?

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Also, why couldn't or why would it be hard to accelerate electrons without a vacume?

braxton said:
What causes people to have the threads closed?
In the case of trying to build particle accelerators, we do not allow dangerous discussions at PF. So when we have folks who know little about hard vacuum and its dangers, and know little about how to work with high voltages safely, and don't understand that accelerators generate x-rays, those thread typically get tied off.

And even in the case when a poster is well-versed in all of that, if it looks like a less-experience PF user may come along at a later date and try to do the same things, that can be dangerous as well.

Likes dlgoff, davenn, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
berkeman said:
In the case of trying to build particle accelerators, we do not allow dangerous discussions at PF. So when we have folks who know little about hard vacuum and its dangers, and know little about how to work with high voltages safely, and don't understand that accelerators generate x-rays, those thread typically get tied off.
Ok, I understand high voltage and how to work with it. And I understand things hitting a target at high velocity can create x-rays or gamma, etc. That's why I have the Shielding as well as placed multiple types of it e.g lead, wax,water because for example neutrons will pass through lead easy, but to properly "moderate" them you need things like parrafin, water, or something with a large hydrogen content. I get all of that, but I haven't explored the vacume part of it other than it reduces the scattering.

• Haha
Likes davenn
Safety is 1st and in order for you to be safe you need to have an understanding of what is going on. If we dont understand what is happening or the dangers of doing certain things we could easily wind up like Thomas Edison's apprentice/helper who spent countless hours in front of x-rays and didn't know he was being hit with all kinds of damaging rays witch eventually lead to the amputation of his limbs and ultimately his death.

braxton said:
Also, why couldn't or why would it be hard to accelerate electrons without a vacume?
Because the Mean Free Path of an electron or ion in the atmosphere is very short. That will prevent accumulation of energy in the one particle alone, the one you assumed was being accelerated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_free_path

The word "volume" is first encountered in technical discussions, followed by a similar sounding word that is spelled quite differently, "vacuum". I can confirm that you are new to the literature of vacuum systems.

"A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a couple of hours in the library". Crampon, Jean E. 1988.

• Haha
Likes nasu, vanhees71, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
Neutrons?
Hmmm...

Why do you think you have (or even want) neutrons? Nuclear binding is typically 8 MeV per nucleon, so you need a few MeV to produce neutrons? (You probably aren't running the exceptions like deuterium, tritium or uranium, and in many cases you sure shouldn't be.(

The Fermilab LINAC has a gradiant of about 1 MeV/m. A reasonable goal might be half that, so 8 MeV means 50 feet long. Are you starting with something so big? If so, why?

Further, x-rays are coming off everything with high voltage, not just the target, If you have a kilovolt to ground, you will have x-rays. How many? Maybe not many, maybe a lot. You have to measure them.

Likes davenn and vanhees71
Thread closed for safety reasons.

Likes dlgoff

1. What are spectral lines from an EM source?

Spectral lines from an EM source refer to the distinct wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object or source. These lines are unique to each element and can be used to identify the chemical composition of a substance.

2. How are spectral lines produced?

Spectral lines are produced when electrons in an atom absorb energy and move to a higher energy level. When these electrons return to their original energy level, they release the excess energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation, creating distinct spectral lines.

3. What is the significance of studying spectral lines?

Studying spectral lines can provide valuable information about the composition, temperature, and density of an object or source. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics to identify elements and study their properties.

4. What factors affect the appearance of spectral lines?

The appearance of spectral lines can be affected by the temperature, pressure, and magnetic field of the source. The presence of other elements or molecules in the source can also cause shifts or broadening of the spectral lines.

5. How are spectral lines used in practical applications?

Spectral lines are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in spectroscopy to identify and analyze the chemical composition of substances. They are also used in medical imaging, environmental monitoring, and telecommunications technology.