Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Spectral method formulation

1. Jul 8, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I am new to spectral methods, does anyone have a good reference which shows some worked examples of formulating the method to be computed?
    E.g. go from the general governing equations through transformation to the form which will be passed to a computer.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2017 #2
    One of my go-to references for computational methods is Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer by Richard H. Pletcher, John C. Tannehill, Dale Anderson. The book shows derivations and applications to different types of mass transfer problems and has a section on spectral methods. Maybe you can find a copy at your library.

4. Jul 11, 2017 #3
    Can you tell me which version of the book and which chapter you are referring to?
    I have third edition and I cannot find spectral methods in the glossary.

Thanks for the quick reply.

5. Jul 11, 2017 #4
    I also have the fourth edition but I don't have the book on hand right now. From what I remember is was talked about in the Application of numerical methods to selected model equations. If it's not in there, another good resource on this is chapter 13 of Numerical Recipes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted