1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectral Radiance and it's Units

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    I'm told the spectral radiance of a source is in the following units

cm^2 * sr * nm

And I try to use this to figure the spectral output of monochromator (in W), but I can't seem to cancel out the units. I multiply the spectral radiance by four other terms

slit width (cm)
    slit height (cm)
    solid angle, using a quick "f-number" equation (sr)
    and then the transmission optics factor, which I assume could be unitless but I could be wrong.

Anyways, anybody know why I get W/nm instead of W? Or is it really just W?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    What would be the wavelength of the transmitted light from the monochromator???
  4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    I assume the source is monochromatic here, so the wavelength coming out of monochromator is also monochromatic...let's just say that the radiation is at 400nm or something...
  5. Oct 30, 2005 #4
    So...what happens when you multiply your original equation by the transmitted wavelength??
  6. Oct 30, 2005 #5
    If I multiply the rest of the equation by let's say, 400nm, then the nm units cancel out...

edit: though I have to admit that I am not totally convinced that this is what the unit implies. Is it some invisible reminder that the spectral radiance depends on what wavelength region this source is emitting from?
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?