1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Spectrometer CCD

Tags:
  1. Dec 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spectroscopist has a spectrometer equipped with a grating with 600 grooves/mm. This grating puts a 1228 nm wavelength range on a spectroscopic plate (a CCD) in order m = 5. The spectroscopist now changes the spectroscopic plate CCD by one that is larger by a factor of 3. What spectral range will be accepted when the spectroscopist observes the lines in order m = 4 with the new, larger spectroscopic plate?

λ1=1228
    d= 1666.67
    m1=5
    m2=4
    λ2=?

2. Relevant equations

mλ=dsinθ

3. The attempt at a solution

sinθ=[(5)(1228)]/(1666.67)=3.68

However I can't solve for θ, and plug it into another question for m2=4. What step should I do next?

So what exactly does the electroscopic plate do?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2
    i think the first set of data gives you an idea of angle at which the experiment is being done - my guess is that angle of diffraction gives you size of CCD detector.
    if you use a larger size you may get a larger coverage of wave length /order of diffraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted