Can Spectroscopy Be Used to Test Arsenic in Applesauce?

In summary, the conversation is about the process of testing for arsenic in applesauce using spectroscopy. The speaker suggests using SERS and homemade applesauce to reduce noise, but acknowledges that the applesauce itself may contain arsenic compounds. They also mention using a solvent as a baseline and ask for advice on whether they should test for total arsenic or specific types of arsenic.
chem1234
I was thinking of preparing applesauce for some type of spectroscopy( ex: Raman). I was thinking of testing it for arsenic. Does anyone have any idea what applesauce would dissolve in ( I realize this is more of a biology question).
thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are putting things on the head. First, you have to decide what you are going to test for. Then, you select a method. Then, you select a way of preparing the sample. You don't start with "what solvent should I use if I don't know what and how I want to do".

Ok I'm testing for arsenic in applesauce. I was thinking of using SERS since that is the lab I'm working in right now. To reduce the noise, I thought I could make some homemade applesauce and subtract the spectra from the store bought applesauce. I'm not sure about the separation technique but I could probably dissolve the applesauce in some solvent and then use the solvent as a baseline ( though there might be too many compounds inside the mixture). Keep in mind I'm pretty inexperienced. Thanks a lot.

chem1234 said:
Ok I'm testing for arsenic in applesauce. I was thinking of using SERS since that is the lab I'm working in right now. To reduce the noise, I thought I could make some homemade applesauce and subtract the spectra from the store bought applesauce.
It's a good thought but you cannot guarantee that your apple doesn't have any arsenic compounds. Arsenic is not added to apples during applesauce production, is it?

I'm not sure about the separation technique but I could probably dissolve the applesauce in some solvent and then use the solvent as a baseline ( though there might be too many compounds inside the mixture). Keep in mind I'm pretty inexperienced. Thanks a lot.
Are you trying to determine total arsenic (possibly meaningless from a toxicity POV) or you trying to 'speciate' arsenic in this sample?

I am intrigued by your idea of using spectroscopy to test applesauce for arsenic. Spectroscopy is a powerful tool for analyzing the chemical composition of a substance, and it can definitely be used to detect the presence of arsenic in applesauce. However, the choice of spectroscopy technique will depend on the specific properties of arsenic that you want to measure.

For example, Raman spectroscopy is a non-destructive technique that can provide information about the molecular structure of a substance. It could be used to identify the specific bonds and functional groups present in arsenic compounds in the applesauce. Other spectroscopy techniques such as atomic absorption spectroscopy or inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) are more sensitive and can detect very low levels of arsenic in a sample.

In terms of the applesauce itself, it is a complex mixture of organic compounds, including sugars, acids, and other nutrients. These components may affect the way arsenic behaves in the sample and could potentially interfere with the spectroscopy results. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the sample preparation and analysis methods to ensure accurate and reliable results.

As for the question of what applesauce would dissolve in, this is indeed a biology question and would require further investigation. It is possible that the applesauce could dissolve in water, or it may require a different solvent depending on the specific ingredients and properties of the applesauce. Overall, your idea of using spectroscopy to test applesauce for arsenic is an interesting one and could potentially provide valuable insights into the safety and quality of this popular food product.

1. What is spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves analyzing the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by a sample to determine its chemical or physical properties.

2. How is spectroscopy used in relation to applesauce?

Spectroscopy can be used to analyze the composition and quality of applesauce. By shining light through a sample of applesauce and measuring the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted, we can determine the levels of certain compounds such as sugars, acids, and antioxidants.

3. What type of spectroscopy is commonly used for applesauce?

Near-infrared (NIR) spectroscopy is commonly used for analyzing applesauce. This type of spectroscopy uses near-infrared light, which is invisible to the human eye, to penetrate through the sample and measure its chemical composition.

4. How accurate is spectroscopy in determining the properties of applesauce?

Spectroscopy is a highly accurate method for analyzing applesauce. It can detect even small changes in the chemical composition of the sample and provide precise measurements of different components.

5. Can spectroscopy be used to detect contaminants in applesauce?

Yes, spectroscopy can be used to detect contaminants in applesauce. By comparing the spectral signature of a pure sample to that of a contaminated sample, we can identify any foreign substances present in the applesauce.