Analysis of Urine with Spectroscopy: Urea & Creatinine

• Thread starter Simon Iversen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectroscopy
In summary, electrical engineer is working on a urine detection system that will use spectroscopy to determine the amount of substances present. Solutions of different substances will be used to create a wavelength spectrum that mimics the spectrum of real urine. It is advised that the user first take a spectroscopy and analytical chemistry course in order to improve their knowledge of the methods.
Simon Iversen
I'm an electrical engineer, and right now i am working with a system that is supposed to detect the amount of different substances in urine. Including glucose, urea, creatinine, ketons, proteins, leukocytes, nitrite, urobilinogen, hemoglobin and bilirubin.

The way we want do detect the substances is in an external way, no direct contact with the urine. So we're going to use spectroscopy, sending different wavelength through the sample. Then analyze the the wavelengths to figure out the amount.

So what I'm thinking about now is to order solutions of the different substances, and i have decided to try out urea and creatinine first (the amount og these substances is high in urine). But what should i think about when ordering these solutions in order to make the wavelength spectrum look like the spectrum of real urine? Should the solutions consist of only creatinine and water, or do i need any salts with it?
If you have any other tips or important thing i should focus/think about in this project, then yell out.

Im sorry for my english and my limited knowledge of chemistry.
Best regards Simon.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Simon Iversen said:
I'm an electrical engineer, and right now i am working with a system that is supposed to detect the amount of different substances in urine. Including glucose, urea, creatinine, ketons, proteins, leukocytes, nitrite, urobilinogen, hemoglobin and bilirubin.

The way we want do detect the substances is in an external way, no direct contact with the urine. So we're going to use spectroscopy, sending different wavelength through the sample. Then analyze the the wavelengths to figure out the amount.

So what I'm thinking about now is to order solutions of the different substances, and i have decided to try out urea and creatinine first (the amount og these substances is high in urine). But what should i think about when ordering these solutions in order to make the wavelength spectrum look like the spectrum of real urine? Should the solutions consist of only creatinine and water, or do i need any salts with it?
If you have any other tips or important thing i should focus/think about in this project, then yell out.

Im sorry for my english and my limited knowledge of chemistry.
Best regards Simon.

Does anybody have any knowledge about this?

A lot. Sadly, it is quite unlikely that you will be able to design something new, not knowing the basics of the spectroscopic methods. Millions of dollars have been already put into the development of fast and reliable methods, together with many years of work of really experienced people. I am sure things can be done better, but somehow I doubt it can be done without a sound knowledge about existing methods and their applicability and limitations. In the best case you risk inventing already invented, in the worst case you risk wasting your time in a an alley that is already known to be blind.

The only advice that sounds reasonable is that you first take some spectroscopy and analytical chemistry course. You know, learning to walk before running thing.

Ok. Thank you for the answer. I'm just in the beginning of a project, so i have a lot to learn. I'll try to follow your advice and acquire more knowledge.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing urine with spectroscopy for urea and creatinine?

The purpose of this analysis is to determine the levels of urea and creatinine in a urine sample, which can provide valuable information about kidney function and overall health.

2. How is spectroscopy used in this analysis?

Spectroscopy is used to measure the absorbance of light by the urea and creatinine molecules in the urine sample. This allows for the quantification of these substances and their levels in the sample.

3. What are the normal levels of urea and creatinine in urine?

The normal range for urea in urine is 20-40 mg/dL, while the normal range for creatinine is 0.6-1.2 mg/dL. However, these levels can vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and overall health.

4. What can abnormal levels of urea and creatinine indicate?

Elevated levels of urea and creatinine in urine may indicate kidney dysfunction or disease. Low levels may suggest kidney damage or dehydration. It is important to consult a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis and treatment.

5. Are there any limitations to this analysis?

While spectroscopy is a useful tool for analyzing urea and creatinine, it is not able to detect other substances or abnormalities in urine. It should be used in conjunction with other diagnostic tests for a comprehensive assessment of kidney function and overall health.