1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectroscopy question

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    I referred to hyperphysics to learn that for electric dipole transition,the selection rules are

[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\ l =[/tex][tex]\ 1 [/tex]

Or, [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\ l =[/tex][tex]\ -1 [/tex]

And, [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\ m_l =[/tex][tex]\ 0 [/tex]

Does not it include n transition?

How is n transition different from transition among the orbitals?

I mean n transition leads to different energy state...That I know.But does the transition among l lead also to different energy state?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2
    Selection rules in spectroscopy is not a fun area to study in my opinion, and to work out all the selection rules for a particular molecular system can be quite tiresome. Atoms are a lot easier than molecules, which is what I'm assuming you are referring to.

n is one of the simpler quantum numbers from a spectroscopic point of view. It refers to the electronic energy level, and can go up or down by any integer amount, or even stay the same during a transition. It is the "principle quantum number", or the quantum number of an atomic shell.

Transitions in l require a change in the orbital angular momentum of the electron in its shell, which happens every time a photon is absorbed. Higher l means more angular momentum for the electron and a higher energy in a given n shell. I can't remember much about m_l though, sorry! I think it's the projection of l on the atomic z axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?