1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectroscopy questions

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    I have done a few Spectroscopy questions already, However I am having troble with these last three problems. Any help would be GREAT!
    Here is the link tothe spectroscopy questions.
    On worksheet 6b, I need help on #1 and #2.
    On worksheet 6a I need help on #4.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2
    Well I personally have no clue on the problem unless you can show us any work you have done on those problems...
  4. Nov 16, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6B, #1 is too easy. What functional group do you know of that will give you a sharp singlet (proton spectrum) way down at 11.5 ppm? Treat the group of peaks at 0.9 and 2.3 ppm as triplets and the absorbance at 1.6 ppm as a multiplet. The C13 spectrum has a carbon way down at 180 ppm. Four types of carbon are present.

#2 is also easy. You have a singlet way down at 11 ppm. Treat the absorbance at 1ppm as a doublet and the multiplet at 2.4 as a quartet. The C13 spectrum has a carbon way down at 205 ppm. Only three types of carbon are present in roughly a 2:1:1 ratio.

6A, #4 can be divined by the proton spectrum alone. Three carbons with three types of protons. One is a triplet at the typical place you find methyl groups next to methylene protons. Nuff said...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?