Spectrum Line Table: Color, Wavelengths, and Energies for Observed Spectra

In summary, for this homework assignment, you are required to prepare a table of spectral lines by color with correct wavelengths and corresponding energies for every line spectrum you observed. You should also pick one line spectrum and explain the order of color from least to most energetic. If you are unsure of what to do, you can refer to your professor for clarification. It seems that you are expected to use your own experimental data rather than a generic spectrum. Additionally, you are to have multiple energy answers for each spectrum. To find these answers, you can use the initial and final wavelengths to calculate the corresponding energies and subtract them to determine the final answer.
thetickets

Homework Statement

Prepare a table of spectral lines by color, with correct wavelengths, and corresponding energies for every line spectrum you observed. Pick one line spectrum and explain the order of color from least to most energetic

Homework Equations

I'm not quite sure what to do here. I emailed my professor and he was of no help. Does it sound like I am to prepare a generic spectra or one that corresponds to my data? Also, how many energy answers am I suppose to have for each spectra.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to make the data table based on my data rather than a generic spectra. Also, I took the initial wavelength and used it to find energy in Joules and subtracted that from the final wavelength's energy to come up up with my final answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You took spectra as part of some experiment, I guess, and you have some experimental data lying on your desk (I guess)? Use them.

I also added a column for the difference in wavelength and energy between each line to show the increase in energy as the color progresses from least to most energetic. However, without further context or instructions, it is difficult to determine if this is the correct approach or if there should be more information included in the table. It would be helpful to have more details or examples of the observed spectra in order to accurately complete this assignment.

1. What is a spectrum line table?

A spectrum line table is a chart or graph that maps out the colors, wavelengths, and energies for observed spectra. It is often used in the field of spectroscopy to identify and analyze different elements or compounds based on their spectral lines.

2. How is a spectrum line table created?

A spectrum line table is created by using a spectroscope to separate white light into its component colors. The colors are then measured and recorded based on their corresponding wavelengths and energies. This data is then organized into a table for easy reference.

3. What is the significance of the colors, wavelengths, and energies in a spectrum line table?

The colors in a spectrum line table represent the visible light spectrum, which is made up of the colors of the rainbow. The wavelengths correspond to the distance between two peaks of a wave, and the energies represent the amount of energy carried by each color. Together, this information can reveal the chemical composition of a substance.

4. How is a spectrum line table used in scientific research?

Spectrum line tables are used in scientific research to identify the elements or compounds present in a sample. By comparing the observed spectral lines to known spectral lines of different elements, scientists can determine the composition of a substance. This information is useful in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using a spectrum line table?

While spectrum line tables are a valuable tool in scientific research, they do have limitations. The accuracy of the data depends on the quality of the spectroscope used, and some elements may have overlapping spectral lines, making it difficult to identify them. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can affect the observed spectra, leading to potential errors in analysis.