Spectrum Intensity of Light

In summary, the equation seeks to find the power or intensity of a light beam that is emitted by a set of λ.
shaf777

Homework Statement

I have an equation to solve. See the attach pichture.
I(r,φ,λ) = I0.sin(2πr/R).sin2(φ).(1/λ)
where
I0 , R are constants
r,φ are cylindrical coordinates
0≤r≤R/2 : the cut is laterally limited
λa ≤ λ ≤ λb : the beam contains a limited frequency spektrum
where the shortcut for integration:
∫sin2(ax) dx = x/2 - 1/4a .sin(2ax)
∫x. sin(ax) dx = (sin(ax)/a2) - (x.cos(ax)/a)

The qustions are to find the total power/Intensity of the light beam, that was produced by λ.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to integrate the above equation to get the power or intensity of the beam, but I am stuck.
∫I(r, φ, λ) dλ = ∫ I0 sin(2πr/R).sin2(φ).(1/λ) dλ
= sin(2πr/R).sin2(φ) ∫ (1/λ) dλ
= sin(2πr/R).sin2(φ) . ln|λ| + C

Is my answer correct? Because I did not even use the given Integration shortcut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello shaf, :welcome:

You integrate over ##\lambda##. Is that really what's being asked ? Perhaps you can post the full problem statement ?

BvU said:
Hello shaf, :welcome:

You integrate over ##\lambda##. Is that really what's being asked ? Perhaps you can post the full problem statement ?
Hello BvU,
actually this question is in German language (which gives it harder to understand) and I am not quite sure if the translation gives the right meaning or not. But if you can try to understand it a bit that would be helpful.

The question are:
a) Wie groß ist die gesamte Leistung diesen Strahl, die von allen λ erzeugt wird.

b) Wie groß ist die Leistung des Strahls, die von den λ in Intervall [λ1, λ2] mit λ1, λ2 ∈ λa, λb] in einem Kreis Segment zwischen der Radien 1 und r2 (r1, r2) ∈ [0, R] mit dem Azimutwinkel zwischen φ1 und φ2 ∈ [0, 2π] erzeugt wird.
Hier reicht es eine Brechungsformel aufzustellen. Die analytischen Ausdrücke müssen nicht weiter berechnet bzw. vereinfacht werden.

c) Wie musste die λ-Abhängigkeit in spektralen Intensitätsverteilung abgeändert werden, damit die spektrale Intensitätsverteilung, wenn man Sie als Funktion der Frequenz aufträgt eine Konstante bzgl. der Frequenz ergibt. Bergründen.

a) How big is the total intensity of this beam which is generated by all λ.
b) What is the intensity of the beam, emitted by the λ in interval [λ 1 , λ 2 ] with λ 1 , λ 2 ∈ λ a , λ b ] in a circle segment between the radii 1 and r 2 ] (r 1 , r 2 ) ∈ [0, R] with the azimuth angle between φ 1 and φ 2 ∈ [0, 2π] is generated.
Here it is enough to set up a formula of refraction. The analytical expressions need not be further calculated or simplified.
c) How did the λ-dependence in the spectral intensity distribution need to be changed so that the spectral intensity distribution, when plotted as a function of the frequency, gives a constant with respect to the frequency. Explain.

Question is one thing, problem statemenet is a little bit more :rolleyes:

My dictionary says Leistung = Power. What is the relationship between your ##I## and power ? (From the hint I'd say I is power too... ?)
For that matter, I have no idea what ##r## and ##\phi## are exactly (your picture didn't make it).
But you are obviously expected to integrate over ##r## and ##\phi## too... "gesamte Leistung "
shaf777 said:
Brechungsformel
Berechnungsformel ?

What is the spectrum intensity of light?

The spectrum intensity of light refers to the relative amount of light at different wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum. It is measured in units of energy per unit area per unit time, such as watts per square meter (W/m²).

What factors affect the spectrum intensity of light?

Several factors can affect the spectrum intensity of light, including the type of light source, the distance from the source, and the properties of the medium through which the light travels. Other factors, such as the temperature and composition of the light source, can also impact the spectrum intensity.

How is the spectrum intensity of light measured?

The spectrum intensity of light can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as spectrometers, photometers, and radiometers. These instruments detect and measure the amount of light at different wavelengths, allowing for the calculation of the spectrum intensity.

What is the importance of understanding the spectrum intensity of light?

Understanding the spectrum intensity of light is important in many fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and astronomy. It can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of light, as well as its interactions with matter. This knowledge is also essential for the development of technologies that rely on light, such as solar panels and optical communications.

How does the spectrum intensity of light contribute to our daily lives?

The spectrum intensity of light plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It allows us to see the world around us, provides energy for photosynthesis in plants, and enables technologies such as lasers and medical imaging. It also influences our sleep-wake cycle and has a significant impact on our health and well-being.