1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectrum of a linear operator on a Banach space

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a number of problems, to be completed in the next day or so (!) that I am pretty stuck with where to begin. They involve calculating the spectra of various different linear operators.

2. Relevant equations
    The first was:
    Let X be the space of complex-valued continuous functions on Ω a closed bounded subset of ℂ, with supremum norm. Define for x [itex]\in[/itex] X, t [itex]\in[/itex] Ω
    (Tx)(t) = tx(t)

I have found the spectrum of this by showing ker(λI - T) is zero and λI - T is onto for all λ not in Ω. So the spectrum of T is Ω.

I am pretty happy with this- I later found the same example in a book online and they agree with my answer.

I now have various ones involving sequences and I'm a lot more confused with these:
    i) Let X be space of cts functions converging to zero with sup norm, & define:
    T((aj)) = ((j+1)-1aj+1)
    I think norm of T is 1/2 and this gives a radius bound for possible λ but have no idea really where to go from here- I think the kernel is trivial for all non zero λ but not getting very far with showing whether its surjective or not.

ii) Let S be the bounded linear operator on l1 defined by
    T((aj)) = (aj - 2aj+1 + aj+2)

Show the spectrum of T is a cardioid.
    Again I can find a general bound for λ using the norm of T but get stuck after this.
    3. The attempt at a solution

Above.. any ideas on what to try next, or advice in general on methods of calculating spectra would be very welcome. Thanks in advance!
    Zoe

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?