Spectrum of Invertible Elements in Unital Banach Algebra: A Proof

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary, the conversation discusses the spectrum of an element in a Banach algebra and whether or not it is invertible. It is determined that the spectrum of an invertible element is the set of complex numbers satisfying a certain property. The conversation also proposes defining a new set of complex numbers to simplify the presentation and suggests showing that the new set is equivalent to the original spectrum.
Oxymoron
If a is in a Banach algebra (with identity 1) then the spectrum of a is a set consisting of [itex]\lambda \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex](a-\lambda 1)[/itex] is not invertible. That is, there does not exist [itex](a-\lambda 1)^{-1} \in A[/itex] such that [itex](a-\lambda 1)^{-1} (a-\lambda) = (a-\lambda)(a-\lambda 1)^{-1} \neq 1[/itex].

So the spectrum of an element of a unital Banach algebra is a set of complex numbers satisfying a certain property.

My question is: Does it work the other way?

What if a is invertible, that is, if [itex]a\in A^{-1}[/itex], then what is the spectrum of [itex]a^{-1}[/itex]?

Would the spectrum of [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] be the set of all (inverse) complex numbers [itex]\lambda^{-1} \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex](a-\lambda 1)^{-1}[/itex] is NOT invertible?

To prove this, all I would have to do is show that there does not exist an element [itex]b \in A[/itex] such that

[tex](a-\lambda 1)^{-1}b = b(a - \lambda 1)^{-1} = 1[/itex]

Then this would show that

[tex]\sigma(a^{-1}) = \{\lambda^{-1}\in\mathbb{C}\,:\,(a-\lambda 1)^{-1}\mbox{ is not invertible }\}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PS. Is the last line of the above post:

[tex]\sigma(a^{-1}) = \{\lambda^{-1}\in\mathbb{C}\,:\,(a-\lambda 1)^{-1}\mbox{ is not invertible }\}[/tex]

equivalent to saying:

[tex]\sigma(a^{-1}) = \{\lambda^{-1}\in\mathbb{C}\,:\,\lambda\in\sigma(a)\}[/tex]

??

If a is invertible then a-t= a(1-a^{-1}t). Which gives you the answer.

I think you have to many things going on there, too many double negatives, and why define the spectrum as the set of lambda^(-1)'s? just make it the set of mu's and show mu is in the spec of a inverse if and only if one over mu is in the spec of a. Your choice of presentation makes it more complicated than it needs to be.

Posted by Matt Grime

If a is invertible then a-t= a(1-a^{-1}t).

Hmm, I don't see how this gives me the answer. I am assuming your "t" is my lambda?

Posted by Matt Grime

I think you have to many things going on there, too many double negatives, and why define the spectrum as the set of lambda^(-1)'s? just make it the set of mu's and show mu is in the spec of a inverse if and only if one over mu is in the spec of a. Your choice of presentation makes it more complicated than it needs to be.

You know what, I was getting the same idea. So your saying that I should define a new set of complex numbers: [itex]\{\mu\in\mathbb{C}\}[/itex] and show that [itex]\mu_i \in\sigma(a^{-1})[/itex] if and only if [itex]\mu^{-1} \in \sigma(a)[/itex]?

Last edited:
To show [itex]\sigma(a^{-1}) = \{\lambda^{-1}\,:\,\lambda\in\sigma(a)\}[/itex] could I just show that [itex](a-\lambda 1)^{-1} \in A^{-1}[/itex]?

That is, show that if I multiply [itex](a-\lambda 1)[/itex] by [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] then I get an invertible element? Is that what you where trying to point out?

1. What is a unital Banach algebra?

A unital Banach algebra is a mathematical structure that combines elements of a Banach space and a unital ring. It is a complete normed vector space equipped with a bilinear multiplication operation and a unit element, satisfying certain algebraic properties.

2. What is the spectrum of invertible elements in a unital Banach algebra?

The spectrum of invertible elements in a unital Banach algebra is the set of all complex numbers for which the corresponding element in the algebra does not have an inverse. It is denoted by σ(A) and is an important concept in the study of functional analysis and operator theory.

3. What is the significance of the proof of the spectrum of invertible elements in a unital Banach algebra?

The proof of the spectrum of invertible elements in a unital Banach algebra is significant because it provides a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of this algebraic system. It also allows for the identification of certain elements that are not invertible, which can be useful in applications such as solving differential equations.

4. What techniques are commonly used in the proof of the spectrum of invertible elements in a unital Banach algebra?

The proof of the spectrum of invertible elements in a unital Banach algebra typically involves the use of functional analysis, complex analysis, and algebraic techniques. Specific methods may include the Gelfand transform, spectral theory, and the Banach algebra properties of the algebra in question.

5. How does the proof of the spectrum of invertible elements in a unital Banach algebra contribute to the overall field of mathematics?

The proof of the spectrum of invertible elements in a unital Banach algebra is an important result in the field of functional analysis and operator theory. It has applications in many areas of mathematics, including differential equations, harmonic analysis, and operator algebras. Additionally, the techniques used in this proof can be applied to other mathematical problems, making it a valuable contribution to the overall field of mathematics.