1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectrum Tubes

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    The spectrum tubes work by runnig an electric current through a sealed tube containing gas. What common use of this method can you think of?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2
    Have you come up with anything yet? I wouldn't feel right just *telling* you - But think about it and take a guess - do you notice any tubes connected to electricity in common use anywhere?

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    yes, I thought it would be "Cooking with Gas", but i was not sure thts why i hv asked

5. Feb 25, 2009 #4
    Well, hang on, let's think about this. What happens when you run electricity through a sealed tube full of gas? Does it *do* anything useful? If you were to notice this phenomenon, what would *you* think of using it for?

6. Feb 25, 2009 #5
    We all don't have any clue about this, since he did not went over it.

7. Feb 25, 2009 #6
    Well, think about it!

What happens when you start throwing charged particles at the atoms in the gas? What else are you learning about in class and the relevant chapter? I can almost guarantee they're related. ;)

8. Feb 25, 2009 #7
    we are learning about The Grating Spectrometer

9. Feb 25, 2009 #8
    Grating? Like diffraction grating? What does this spectrometer measure?

10. Feb 25, 2009 #9
    actually this is a lab. we used spectrometer for to find Hydrogen and Helium wavelengths at some colors

11. Feb 25, 2009 #10
    Ah ha! So what does wavelengths, and colors tell you? What kind of waves were you dealing with?

12. Feb 25, 2009 #11
    is fluoracent lamp could be use of this method?

13. Feb 25, 2009 #12
    Yes! If you electrify a gas, it glows, and that makes for pretty okay lighting!

14. Feb 25, 2009 #13
    thanks!!! another quick question

I know tht ultraviolet and ifrared are not visible to human eyes, but where would it be appear on spectrometer?

15. Feb 25, 2009 #14
    Well, I don't know what equipment you have... I can help you figure out where UV and IR waves would be in relation to visible light in the electromagnetic spectrum, though....

Also, think about their wavelengths in relation to the possible wavelengths of visible light!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook