What are the common uses of spectrum tubes?

• Thread starter dsptl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary, the spectrum tubes work by running an electric current through a sealed tube containing gas. This method is commonly used to measure the wavelengths of different types of light.
dsptl
The spectrum tubes work by runnig an electric current through a sealed tube containing gas. What common use of this method can you think of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you come up with anything yet? I wouldn't feel right just *telling* you - But think about it and take a guess - do you notice any tubes connected to electricity in common use anywhere?

yes, I thought it would be "Cooking with Gas", but i was not sure thts why i hv asked

Well, hang on, let's think about this. What happens when you run electricity through a sealed tube full of gas? Does it *do* anything useful? If you were to notice this phenomenon, what would *you* think of using it for?

We all don't have any clue about this, since he did not went over it.

Well, think about it!

What happens when you start throwing charged particles at the atoms in the gas? What else are you learning about in class and the relevant chapter? I can almost guarantee they're related. ;)

we are learning about The Grating Spectrometer

Grating? Like diffraction grating? What does this spectrometer measure?

actually this is a lab. we used spectrometer for to find Hydrogen and Helium wavelengths at some colors

Ah ha! So what does wavelengths, and colors tell you? What kind of waves were you dealing with?

is fluoracent lamp could be use of this method?

Yes! If you electrify a gas, it glows, and that makes for pretty okay lighting!

thanks! another quick question

I know tht ultraviolet and ifrared are not visible to human eyes, but where would it be appear on spectrometer?

Well, I don't know what equipment you have... I can help you figure out where UV and IR waves would be in relation to visible light in the electromagnetic spectrum, though...

Also, think about their wavelengths in relation to the possible wavelengths of visible light!

What are spectrum tubes?

Spectrum tubes are long, thin glass tubes filled with a specific gas or gas mixture. They are used to produce a specific spectrum of light when an electrical current is passed through the gas.

What are the common uses of spectrum tubes?

Spectrum tubes are commonly used in physics and chemistry laboratories to study the properties of different gases. They are also used in educational settings to demonstrate the principles of atomic and molecular spectra.

How do spectrum tubes work?

When an electrical current is passed through the gas in the spectrum tube, the gas molecules become excited and emit specific wavelengths of light. This light is then separated into a spectrum using a diffraction grating or prism, allowing for analysis and identification of the gas being used.

What gases are commonly used in spectrum tubes?

Some of the most commonly used gases in spectrum tubes include hydrogen, helium, neon, argon, and mercury. Each gas produces a unique spectrum of light, making them useful for different experiments and demonstrations.

Are spectrum tubes dangerous?

Spectrum tubes are generally safe to use as long as proper precautions are taken, such as wearing safety glasses and handling the tubes carefully. However, some gases used in spectrum tubes, such as mercury, can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and dispose of used tubes properly.