1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed and Kinetic Friction

1. May 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sam, whose mass is 75 kg, stands at the top of a 12-m-high, 100-m-long snow-covered slope. His skis have a coefficient of kinetic friction on snow of 0.07. If he uses his poles to get started, then glides down, what is his speed at the bottom?

2. Relevant equations
    v = √(2g(h-μk√(L2-h2)))

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems as simple as plugging in the values into the equation, but my result isn't anywhere near what it should be.
    From my understanding:
    g = 9.8
    h = 12m
    L = 100m
    μk = 0.07

v = √(2(9.8)(12-0.07√(1002-122))) = 152.36
    152.36 m/s? That seems a bit much to me. The back of my book says that it is 9.9 m/s, but how do I get there?
    What did I mess up on?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a very specialized formula! (Is this sort of formula supplied for you on exams?)

When I calculate the left side, I don't get 152.36. Make sure you are doing the calculation correctly using your calculator.

4. May 30, 2016 #3
    Yeah we have to memorize it. I have no idea where it came from lol

When I punch it into my calculator I get the same answer. So I tried breaking it down algebraically as follows.
    I still ended up with the same weird number.

calc.PNG

Am I plugging the values into the wrong places?

5. May 30, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See if you can spot the error in going from the 3rd to the 4th line. "Order of operations" is important here.

6. May 30, 2016 #5
    Rather than multiply, I take the 11.93th root of 9856?

blah.PNG

When I plug it into my calculator I get the correct answer, but I am concerned that when I do it by hand I am going to mess it up. :/

7. May 30, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How would you evaluate ##9 - 2 \cdot 3##

You have a subtraction and a multiplication. Which operation should you do first?

8. May 30, 2016 #7
    Oh!!! Duh!!
    Thank you!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted