Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed and Time phase

1. Dec 23, 2003 #1
    I have heard of a term being thrown around called 'being out of phase'.

As I understand this, if you were out of phase with normal time. Say, for instance time for you went faster than others. You would therefore move faster than other objects.

What I cannot understand is, if you would take a ball and throw it, it would move much fast than the 'normal' time. Would this ball (if it did not vapourise) be able to create more damage to other objects, because of its high speed? Or would the ball interact with other objects with the same force as a ball under normal time.

Mr Mango

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2003 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

THe term "out of phase" is referring to wave motion. It is the idea that two waves can be travelling in the same medium, and they could meet, but where one is at the high point of the wave, the other is at the low point. The two waves are out of phase and they cancel each other out (but just at that point and for just that moment in time).

I am not aware of "out of phase" being used in the way you have described. But even if you were "out of phase" with normal time, it would not follow, necessarily that the flow of time be faster or slower.

4. Dec 24, 2003 #3
    If I can find the article, I will post the url.

I am very new to this sort of area, but interested. If could also be that I have not explained myself correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

5. Dec 26, 2003 #4
    Re: Time Phase

To influence and alter the time phase of an object would be to control time itself for that object. Some research and actual exeriments on this can be found in a lab near Manhattan, call "Project Dark Star". They claim to have been able to slow the rate of time of an object (i.e. clocks, plants, etc..), and even increase the rate of time of those objects, in relation to our (outsiders) time rate, but have been unsuccessfull in actually stopping or reversing time, only slowing it down and speeding it up.

Hope this helps.

6. Dec 29, 2003 #5
    Having read this thread, I am a little confused. Perhaps you can help:

I thought that "time" is a "relationship" as opposed to a force or other influencing energy. In other words, I have always felt that time only exists if there is a change in the object with respect to a previous state, or, there is a change of the object with relationship to something else.
    If nothing changed, internally or externally(I know this is not possible) would not the notion of time be meaningless?

7. Dec 30, 2003 #6
    If an object remained completely unchanged over time, then time would by defenition by irrelevant to it. Of course everything around it would still be changed by time.

On topic: I always thought Out of Phase as being slightly forward or behind in the time stream as the rest of environment. Kind of like a car following behind you on the road. If you were unable to look behind you(as we can't look back in time), you woudn't be able to see that car. It would be Out of Phase so to speak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?