Solving Speed & Velocity: Backpacker Walks 5.58km West & East

In summary, in this problem we are given the average velocity of a backpacker, who walks with an average velocity of 1.09m/s due west to reach her destination. This is achieved by hiking for 5.58km with an average velocity of 2.30m/s due west, then turning around and hiking with an average velocity of .430 m/s due east. To find the distance she walks due east, we can use the equation average velocity = displacement/elapsed time. By rearranging this equation, we can find the time taken for her to hike 5.58km with an average velocity of 2.30m/s, and then find the distance she hikes due east using the given average velocity
pookisantoki

Homework Statement

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.09m/s, due west. This average velocity results, because she hikes for 5.58km with an average velocity of 2.30m/s due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of .430 m/s due east. How far east did she walk ( in Km)

I have no idea on how to even go about this problem. I do know that average velocity = displacement/ elasped time... Like would i be solving it out three different times or plug it all in? Please let me knwo how to approach this problem Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the time taken by her to hikes for 5.58km with an average velocity of 2.30m/s due west. Let d be the distance she hikes due east. Average velocity is given. Find the time to hike this distance in terms of d.
Now what is her net displacement?
What is the total time?
Net average velocity is given. Find d, and then the displacement.

So this is what i have following what you wrote, I'm not sure if I understood it all.

2.30m/s due west= 5580meter/t
t=.000412186

.430m/s=d/.00412186
d=.00017724

Did I do this correctly?? If so, I am not sure on what to do after this step.

v = d/t.
Then t = d/v
Check your maths.

I'm still getting it wrong...
.0023km/sec= 5.58/t
t=5.58/.0023
t=2426.0869sec

.00043=d/2426.0869sec
d=1.04321

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. In other words, velocity includes the direction in which an object is moving, while speed does not.

How do you calculate speed and velocity?

To calculate speed, you divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. To calculate velocity, you divide the displacement (change in position) by the time it took to make that change.

What are the units for speed and velocity?

The most commonly used unit for speed is meters per second (m/s), while the most commonly used unit for velocity is meters per second in a specific direction (m/s).

What is the backpacker's average speed and velocity in this scenario?

The backpacker's average speed is 0 m/s, since they end up back at their starting point after traveling 5.58km west and then 5.58km east. Their average velocity is also 0 m/s, since their displacement is 0 (no change in position).

How can speed and velocity be used in real life applications?

Speed and velocity are used in many real life applications, such as calculating the speed of vehicles, determining the velocity of projectiles, and designing efficient transportation systems. They are also important in sports, as athletes strive to increase their speed and velocity to improve their performance.