Which slide will have a higher speed at the end of the slide?

In summary, if a child slides down both of them, on which one will his speed be greater considering there is friction?
alingy1
Hi,

We have two slides. Slide A and B. The height difference between the bottom and the top of the slides is the same. However, the angle of inclination of the slides are different. Slide A is a more direct slide while slide B is less direct.

If a child slides down both of them, on which one will his speed be greater considering there is friction?

Ok, so what I'm thinking is that friction is pathway dependent. The longer it is, the worst the loss of speed. So we just slide slide A will make the child faster.
But, my friends say that we should make more calculations because the Normal Force changes. What do we do?

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
Hi,

We have two slides. Slide A and B. The height difference between the bottom and the top of the slides is the same. However, the angle of inclination of the slides are different. Slide A is a more direct slide while slide B is less direct.

If a child slides down both of them, on which one will his speed be greater considering there is friction?

Ok, so what I'm thinking is that friction is pathway dependent. The longer it is, the worst the loss of speed. So we just slide slide A will make the child faster.
But, my friends say that we should make more calculations because the Normal Force changes. What do we do?
Is what your friend says true? If it is, then you should at least take that difference into account. However, it may be that you don't need to complicate the analysis very much.

Hi,
It is true.
I would just answer friction is pathway dependent and non conservative. It acts for a longer time on B. therefore b is the slowest.
Anything else to add?

alingy1 said:
Hi,
It is true.
I would just answer friction is pathway dependent and non conservative. It acts for a longer time on B. therefore b is the slowest.
Anything else to add?
What if friction on the shorter path is greater than on the longer path? Which one dominates?

As your friend pointed out, the force of friction is different in each case, because the normal force is different.

I don't think it matters. The normal force is anyway bigger in B

alingy1 said:
I don't think it matters. The normal force is anyway bigger in B
To be more complete in your statement you might explicitly state what it is which doesn't matter.

Slide B is steeper than slide A. Therefore, the normal force and thus the friction is less for Slide B.

That along with the difference in lengths (also giving the nod to Slide B) gives your answer.

1. What is the "speed at end of slide"?

The "speed at end of slide" refers to the velocity of an object at the end of a slide, usually a playground slide. It is the rate at which the object is moving at the very bottom of the slide.

2. How is the "speed at end of slide" calculated?

The "speed at end of slide" is calculated by dividing the distance the object traveled down the slide by the time it took to reach the end. This is known as average speed and is commonly represented by the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the "speed at end of slide"?

The "speed at end of slide" can be affected by several factors, including the angle and length of the slide, the surface of the slide, the weight and shape of the object sliding, and any friction or resistance present.

4. How does gravity play a role in determining the "speed at end of slide"?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the "speed at end of slide." As the object slides down the slide, gravity pulls it downward, increasing its speed. The steeper the angle of the slide, the greater the effect of gravity and the faster the object will slide.

5. Why is understanding the "speed at end of slide" important?

Understanding the "speed at end of slide" is important for both safety and scientific purposes. It can help determine the appropriate design and safety measures for playground slides, as well as provide valuable data for studying the laws of motion and energy conservation.