Car Accident Analysis: Speed at Impact and Vehicle Specifications Revealed

In summary, the conversation discusses a car accident involving three cars, where one car was turning right and another was stopped at a stop light. The third car proceeded through the intersection and crashed into the stopped car, causing it to roll onto its side. The discussion also includes the estimated mass and velocity of the cars at impact, as well as concerns about the accuracy and reliability of the calculations. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that there is no suitable way to determine the exact details of the accident without expert testimony.
craftylady
Car A was turning right
Car B was stopped at stop light.
Car B with no further oncoming traffic at the time proceeded across the intersection. Halfway across the intersection Car C T-bones Car B.
CAR B is 2012 Chevy Silverado 4X4 LTZ
CAR C is approx 2002 Nissan Sentra (I believe)
When Car C impacts with CAR B, Car B rolls onto its side, causing Car B driver to be trapped until help arrives.

Car C Nissan 8549 Kg
Velocity is 5.26
Time to impact .54 seconds
Impact Force N

Car B
• Speed at impact:6.07 m/s
• or 21.85 km/h
• time until impact:0.62 s
• Energy at impact:58496.20 joules
• Mass in kg 3175

and not including the .5-.8 of road. I calculated the impact force of Car C at 155547 divided by the mass weight of car B giving Car C the rate of speed at 52.45. just need to know if this is correct or if I missed something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think it is reasonable that Car B, a Chevy 4x4 pickup, has a mass of 3175 kg, and Car C, a Nissan Sentra, has a mass of 8549 kg? That's got to be the heaviest Sentra on record.

Also, how are you getting the impact times? Those can't be calculated from the known information, unless you have some additional knowledge...

craftylady said:
Car A was turning right
Car B was stopped at stop light.
Car B with no further oncoming traffic at the time proceeded across the intersection. Halfway across the intersection Car C T-bones Car B.
CAR B is 2012 Chevy Silverado 4X4 LTZ
CAR C is approx 2002 Nissan Sentra (I believe)
When Car C impacts with CAR B, Car B rolls onto its side, causing Car B driver to be trapped until help arrives.

Car C Nissan 8549 Kg
That mass seems too high
Velocity is 5.26
5.26 what? what are the units?
Time to impact .54 seconds
Impact Force N
Everything else in this problem has three significant figures, but the force has 17 sig. figs. Something is fishy here
Car B
• Speed at impact:6.07 m/s
• or 21.85 km/h
• time until impact:0.62 s
• Energy at impact:58496.20 joules
• Mass in kg 3175

and not including the .5-.8 of road.
what is .5 - .8 supposed to mean?
I calculated the impact force of Car C at 155547
again, what are the units?
divided by the mass weight
mass and weight are two different things
of car B giving Car C the rate of speed at 52.45.
Again, where are the units?
just need to know if this is correct or if I missed something.
I don't know if it's correct. How could I, given all the things listed above that you missed?

Last edited:
This looks like yet another question about presenting evidence in a court case.
There is no suitable Physics to deal with this satisfactorily for any arbitrator.

There is one big flaw in all of this. No one can tell what the 'Force" was during the impact unless they had accelerometers fitted to the vehicles. dauto has already asked about the quoted time for the impact.
The only way to convince a judge is to hire an expensive 'Expert Witness' who could give some very broad estimated limits to the possible speeds involved. Anything you could present the judge with would carry no weight at all, I'm afraid.

What is car accident analysis?

Car accident analysis is the process of examining the events and factors that led to a car accident in order to determine its cause and prevent future accidents. This includes analyzing the speed at impact and vehicle specifications, as well as other contributing factors such as road conditions and driver behavior.

How is speed at impact determined in a car accident analysis?

Speed at impact is determined by analyzing the damage to the vehicles involved in the accident and using mathematical calculations to estimate the speed at which they collided. This can also be determined through data collected from event data recorders or eyewitness testimonies.

What role do vehicle specifications play in car accident analysis?

Vehicle specifications, such as weight, size, and safety features, can have a significant impact on the severity of a car accident. These specifications are taken into account in the analysis to understand how they may have contributed to the accident or influenced the outcome.

Why is car accident analysis important?

Car accident analysis is important because it helps identify the causes of accidents and provides valuable information for improving road safety. By understanding the factors that contribute to accidents, measures can be taken to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

What can be done with the results of a car accident analysis?

The results of a car accident analysis can be used to inform and improve various aspects of road safety, such as vehicle design, traffic laws and regulations, and driver education and training. They can also be used in legal proceedings to determine fault and liability in a car accident.