1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed & Direction of Motion

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To protect their young in the nest, peregrine falcons will fly into birds of prey (such as ravens) at high speed. In one such episode, a 600g falcon flying at 20.0m/s hit a 1.40kg raven flying at 8.0m/s. The falcon hit the raven at right angles to its original path and bounced back at 5.0m/s. By what angle did the falcon change the raven's direction of motion? What was the raven's speed right after the collision?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔP, arctan(P_y/P_x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find each individual momentum vector for the raven and falcon, then did arctan(P_fal/P_rav) to get the direction of the motion, but my answer of 47° turned out to be incorrect. Could someone please guide me on how to work out both of these problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

UVW

Remember, the momentum of the falcon is not going to come into play when finding the direction of motion of the raven. Why don't we find the x and y components of the raven's final momentum and go from there?

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That doesn't compute the direction of anything interesting as far as I can see.
    Please post all your working:
    - the momentum vectors for the two birds before collision
    - the conservation of momentum equations
    - the raven's velocity vector after collision
    (Btw, the problem composer is clearly no ornithologist!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted