1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed = distance/time

1. Jan 23, 2007 #1

jkt

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to solve the following problem to help my son with his homework....

Suppose you build a motor car that travels across a table top a distance of 1.5 meters in 1.2 seconds. The table is 0.8 m tall. The mass of the car is 300 grams. Ignore friction, air resistance.
    1) If we assume that its acceleration is uniform, what is the acceleration of the car while rolling on the table? The correct answer is 2.1 m/s/s....but i don't understand how that answer was arrived at.

2) What would be the velocity of the car after it has accelerated across the table top for the distance of 1 meter? The correct answer 2.5 m/s...but once again, I don't understand it. Any help for the weary mom?

2. Relevant equations

speed = distance/time

3. The attempt at a solution

1.5/1.2

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2007 #2
    That would apply if the speed was same during the travel. speed/time, in this problem, would only result in the average speed.

Given distance and time, which of the kinematic equations would you use to find the acceleration?

(I guess the you've to assume that the car starts from rest)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?