What is the source of my speed error in my steel ball experiment?

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment involving dropping steel balls through glycerol and timing their movement. The experiment resulted in a large error due to relying on human reflexes for timing. One person suggests using a statistical error analysis by dropping multiple balls of the same diameter.
THE 1
Basically i am working out my error
i did an experiment where i dropped steel balls through glycerol and started the stopwatch at a line and stopped it at a line. The lines are displaced 40cm or 0.4m apart form each other. If a humans reaction time is approximatly 0.3s then my error in speed is 0.3x2/0.4=1.5m/s but this is a massive error as my spheres were moving at less than 1m/s so I am a little confused that my error can be this much.

Help Needed

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want help with the math, or with the experiment?

There must be a more reliable way than your reflexes for timing the events.

I remember doing this experiment a long time ago... and yeah, the way that we did it relied on our reflexes to time the events.
How many balls of the same diameter did you drop? If you did a plentiful amount, you could do a statistical error analysis?

What is speed error?

Speed error is the difference between the desired speed and the actual speed of an object or system. It can be caused by various factors such as measurement inaccuracies, mechanical limitations, or external disturbances.

Why is speed error important?

Speed error is important because it affects the performance and accuracy of a system. It can lead to deviations from the desired outcome and can impact safety, efficiency, and reliability.

How is speed error measured?

Speed error is typically measured by comparing the actual speed to the desired speed and calculating the difference. This can be done using various methods such as sensors, mathematical models, or visual observations.

What are some common sources of speed error?

Some common sources of speed error include environmental factors such as changes in temperature or humidity, mechanical wear and tear, human error, and limitations of measurement devices.

How can speed error be reduced?

Speed error can be reduced by improving measurement accuracy, implementing control systems to regulate speed, and minimizing external disturbances. Regular maintenance and calibration can also help to reduce speed error.