Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed from acceleration

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    Is it possible to calculate the top speed of a projectile from acceleration data? Like if an accelerometer was attached to a projectile when it is launced from stationary position would it be possible to calculate the top speed the projectile reached? If the accelerometer was gathering data during the whole flight of the projectile could instantaneous speeds be calculated?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2
  4. Sep 16, 2010 #3
    I believe that a ballistic path can be determined using only the following measurements: the highest point of the curve, the horizontal distance traveled, the angle at launch relative to the ground, and the elapsed time. The method above might be more accurate, but it is not necessary to resort to an accelerometer to calculate top speed. I don't remember the exact formulas, but I'm sure they can help you in any math forum with a little calculus.

Sorry if that's not helpful to you. I just thought I would throw it out there because of its simplicity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook