How do I determine θ'' and tension in a speed-governing mechanism?

• Thread starter EserRose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, in this conversation, the speed-governing mechanism with a mass of 0.2 kg, a length of 10 cm, and rotating at 500 rpm with an angle of 40° was discussed. The task was to determine the acceleration and tension in the rod at that instant. Using the equations for force and angular velocity, the tension was found to be 2.56 N. The next step was to calculate the horizontal component of the tension, but there was confusion about using polar coordinates and whether to find the net force or excess acceleration.
EserRose

Homework Statement

In the speed-governing mechanism m = 0.2 kg, L = 10cm, (rods AB have negligible mass), w = 500 rpm, θ = 40°,θ' = 0 . Determine θ'' at that instant and the tension in the rod.
upload_2017-1-7_0-31-35.png

Homework Equations

F=[ω][/2]r

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated ω = 500 rpm * 2π /60 = 52.36 rad/s.
From the vertical components, I determined T*cosθ = mg
So T = 2.56 N
With this, I can calculate the horizontal component of T, but then I have a different ω for the balls and I'm confused. Should I use polar coordinates? If so, how should I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
EserRose said:
F=[ω][/2]r
What is F here? If it's a force, the dimensions don't match.
EserRose said:
then I have a different ω for the balls
How do you mean? Remember, this is not equilibrium.

haruspex said:
What is F here? If it's a force, the dimensions don't match.

Ooos I meant m*ω^2 *r

haruspex said:
How do you mean? Remember, this is not equilibrium.

I see that, so I should find the net force then?

EserRose said:
so I should find the net force then?
Sort of.. depends whether you want to use the inertial frame + centripetal view or object frame + centrifugal view.
In the latter case it would be net force; in the former you might describe it as the excess acceleration.

What is a speed-governing mechanism?

A speed-governing mechanism is a component or system that regulates and controls the speed of a machine or device. It is designed to maintain a consistent and safe speed for efficient and effective performance.

Why is a speed-governing mechanism important?

A speed-governing mechanism is important because it helps ensure the safe and efficient operation of machines and devices. It prevents them from operating at dangerous or excessive speeds, which can lead to accidents or damage.

How does a speed-governing mechanism work?

A speed-governing mechanism works by using sensors or controllers to monitor the speed of a machine or device. It then adjusts the input or output of energy to maintain a constant speed, typically through mechanisms such as throttling or braking.

What are the different types of speed-governing mechanisms?

There are various types of speed-governing mechanisms, including mechanical, electrical, and electronic systems. Mechanical systems use physical mechanisms such as gears and flywheels, while electrical systems use motors and generators. Electronic systems use sensors and controllers to regulate speed.

How is a speed-governing mechanism used in different industries?

A speed-governing mechanism is used in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy production. It is an essential component in vehicles, machinery, and other equipment, helping to ensure safe and efficient operation.