1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed in Space

1. Jul 21, 2009 #1
    A projectile is launched vertically from the surface of the Moon with an initial speed of 1210 m/s. At what altitude is the projectile's speed three-fourths its initial value?

can someone please help me with this!!! i keep getting 1.96x10^5 m but it says that is not the correct answer

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2009 #2
    This should really be in the hwk section. However, yes, your answer is incorrect. Think of it this way:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2=\frac{1}{2}m (\frac{3v_1}{4})^2+mgh[/itex] (assuming you're allowed to use mgh). I assume you've covered conservation of energy (or are you still only doing kinematics)?

4. Jul 21, 2009 #3
    yes we have covered conservation of energy. however when i solve using this equation i get the answer 195885, which is the same thing as 1.96x10^5 right?

5. Jul 21, 2009 #4
    Well you're making an algebraic mistake somewhere. I'm getting 3.3x10^4

6. Jul 22, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, of course, since we are talking about the moon and not the earth, you have to use the value of "g" that is correct for the moon, not 9.81 m/s2.

What is that "g"?

7. Jul 22, 2009 #6
    1.63 m/s^2

8. Jul 22, 2009 #7
    More precisely, an unconfirmed source says 1.62631, but I haven't done the calculation or found corroboration--but it's close enough to the approximation I do know that I don't doubt it.

9. Jul 22, 2009 #8

turin

Homework Helper

You don't need to make an assumption; you can determine this by comparing to the more general expression. However, even if mgh turns out to be a good approximation, you might as well use the more general expression to begin with: U=GMm/r^2.

10. Jul 22, 2009 #9
    once i learnt the conservation of energy...physics became a whole lot easier coz i could basicly solve almost all problems using a few basic energy equations...instead of kinematics...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook