1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed loss during gear change

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    Hey

I have a assignment to produce a excel work book to calculate acceleration time and top speeds for different gear ratios in race cars. I have so far work out time to accelerate to top speed, but I want to add a bit more detail to my graphs by showing the speed loss during gear changes.

car mass - 600kg
    drag coefficient - 1.3
    density air - 1.225kg/m^3
    frontal area - 0.4m^2
    rolling resistance = 125N
    shift time - 0.5 seconds

I can work out the momentum and drag forces at the point the clutch is pressed at the start of the gear change using

momentum = mass * velocity
    = 600v

drag force = (0.5 * coefficient drag * density air * frontal area * velocity^2)+ rolling resistance
    = 125+0.3185v^2

Sure it can be work out using calculus but has been many years since I last did that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Andy

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

I'm not sure why you model rolling friction as a constant force. If that is really what you want to do, perhaps you can find some formulas describing speed as function of time in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=393048

Normally, though, one would model rolling friction as proportional to speed, that is, your equation of motion during gear shift would be

[tex] m \dot{v} = -k v^2 - c v[/tex]

where [itex]m, k, c > 0[/itex]. The c constant is the one corresponding to your 125N (at some speed?) If I quickly integrate this (assuming this is not really part of your homework, and if it is, you should figure out to do this integral yourself), I get

[tex] v = \frac{d}{(1 + d/v_0)\exp(ct/m)-1} [/tex]

where v0 is the initial speed at t = 0 and [itex] d = c/k[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook