1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a Baseball

1. Jun 21, 2006 #1
    Hi all.

I have a problem that states -

It's the bottom of the ninth with two outs and the winning runs on base. You hit a knee-high fastball that just clears the leaping third baseman's glove. He is standing 24 m from you and his glove reaches to 3.1 m above the ground. The flight time to that point is 0.61 s. Assume the ball's initial height was 0.60 m. Find the initial speed of the ball.

Find the time at which the ball reaches its maximum height.

I found the initial velocity to be 39.67 m/s and this was correct (This homework is online so I can enter in answers and get results immediately.)

I then found the angle of the launch by taking the inverse tangent of the height, 3.1 m, divided by the length, 24 m. This should give me the angle of the launch, but I'm thinking this might be where I went wrong. I then took the sine of this angle and multiplied it by the initial velocity to get my velocity in the y direction.

Then I used the formula -

V(final) = V(inital) + A * t

and plugged in zero for the final velocity, since the ball's velocity in the y direction at the peak of the arc will be zero, the y velocity I calculated above for the V(initial), -9.81 m/s^2 for the acceleration due to gravity, and solved for the time. This came out to be 0.518 seconds, which was not the right answer.

I think the part I am messing up is the calculation of the angle, but I'm not sure...any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: Try finding the horizontal component of your velocity. (v = ds/dt)
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?