Speed of a boat due to power rower

In summary, the question is asking for the theoretical maximum speed of a rower in a rowboat with specific dimensions and surface area, given the maximum power output of 1 kW. The given densities and viscosities of air and water do not specify which to use. The attempted solution involves creating a formula based on the units of the components, but results in a speed that seems unrealistic for a rowboat. Further research suggests that at high speeds, the main resistance comes from the inertia of the water, but this would require knowing the x-sectional area and the distance from the hull to effectively still water. The use of viscosity of water in the calculation is unclear.
marty456

Homework Statement

Dear all, I need help with an old exam question. It goes as following:

The maximum power that a certain athlete can produce is equal to 1 kW. What is the theoretical maximum speed that a rower can obtain in a rowboat with a smooth exterior, a length of 4 meter and a 'wet' surface of 2.8 m^2.

Homework Equations

No equations are given and I can't think of any. However, the density of air (1.2 kg/m^3), the dynamic viscosity of air (1.8*10^-5 Pa s), the density of water (1000 kg/m^3), the dynamic viscosity of air (0.0010 Pa s) are all given, though it does not say which (if any) I should use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been attempting to recreate a formula based on the units of the various components. One formula for power = force * speed, so speed=Power/force. For force, which is in Newton, I tried multiplying the viscosity of the water with the 'wet' area. The resulting number would have Newton as its unit (Pa*s*m^2 is equal to kg*m/s=Newton). However, this left me with a speed in the 6 digits, which I don't think is a realistic answer for a row boat.
I have tried other combinations as well, but these don't result in the right unit (m/s). Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the speed of a boat due to a power rower?

The speed of a boat due to a power rower can vary depending on several factors such as the strength and technique of the rower, the size and design of the boat, and the water conditions. However, on average, a skilled power rower can maintain a speed of around 5-6 miles per hour in calm waters.

2. How does the power of a rower affect the speed of the boat?

The power of a rower directly affects the speed of the boat. The more power a rower can generate, the faster the boat will move. This is because the power is transferred from the rower's body to the oar, which propels the boat forward through the water.

3. What is the role of the boat's design in its speed?

The design of the boat plays a crucial role in its speed. A longer and narrower boat will be faster than a shorter and wider one because it creates less drag and is more streamlined. Additionally, the materials used to make the boat, such as lightweight carbon fiber, can also contribute to its speed.

4. How does water conditions affect the speed of the boat?

The speed of a boat can be significantly affected by water conditions. Calm, flat water is ideal for achieving maximum speed, while rough or choppy water can slow the boat down. Wind can also impact the boat's speed, as it can create resistance and make it more difficult for the rower to maintain their desired pace.

5. Can the speed of a boat due to a power rower be measured?

Yes, the speed of a boat due to a power rower can be measured using a speedometer or GPS device. These tools can track the boat's speed in real-time, allowing the rower to adjust their pace and technique accordingly. Additionally, coaches and trainers often use timing methods to measure a rower's speed and progress over a set distance.