1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a charge

1. Jun 23, 2006 #1
    Hi, I have a question about a problem. Four different charges are placed on the corners of a square, and then a fifth one is placed on the center. I need to find the speed this fifth charge would have at a great distance.

The total energy of the system should be the sum of the work to bring each charge to the square right? So, the total work equals U, and the velocity of the charge can be found from U=Ek, U=mv^2/2. It seems right to me, but I just can't get the right answer. I appreciate the help, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2006 #2

can anyone please help me??
  4. Jun 23, 2006 #3
    Are all the charges the same? It depends on the system. If the system is symmetric in any kind of way then the central charge won't move.
  5. Jun 23, 2006 #4
    No.. the charges are different. Q on corner A, 2Q on corner B, -3Q on corner C and 6Q on corner D. The charge that is put in the center of the square is Q..
  6. Jun 23, 2006 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the four charges are fixed, you jujst need to find the U of the central charge Q.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?